Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How to add the language in the url''s?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - November 02 2010 :  19:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Recently I have translated my shop in 2 other languages. However, when the language is switched there is no indication at all of the chosen language in the url. This is not good for SEO.

I wonder what would be the best and least time consuming method to get the language someway in my url. Untill now I see 2 possibilities:

1. Adapt the code in all pages so that the url is prolongated with some meaningful characters like &lgg=france but this will take a lot of programming.

2. Configure multiple shops as indicated in the manual for each language and lead them to my subdomains, for example www.shop.com/uk, www.shop.com/fr and www.shop.com/nl. This doesn't need so much programmation but the backside is that I need to copy all my asp pages and images to 3 different sublevels. This means when I want to update images or change the code, I will have to do it 3 times and so it will be very time consuming while updating my shop later on.

My question: Are there any smarter (less time consuming)solutions to obtain a reference to the chosen language in my url. I think it is absolutely necessary for sitemapping and SEO performance. Also, the next step is to to rewrite the url via software from my webhoster, but also in this case it seems necessary to me to have a slightly different link or query string for each language.

Thanks for any hints or suggestions!

Trial and error

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - November 02 2010 :  19:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to avoid misunderstanding : the references www.shop.com/nl and so on were only intended as examples. Those sites/shops have nothing to do with my shop. I ddin't expect to see links showing up.

Regards,
Trial
Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - November 03 2010 :  05:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why not just installing the language addon that you want from http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspcustomer.htm#languages and then from Layout Manager set to turn on the Language switcher.

Maybe this will help.

Diego.
Go to Top of Page

Trial_and_Error
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - November 03 2010 :  16:26:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Diego,

Thanks for your advice but I actually don' have any issues with my translations. Everything works well when I switch languages. The only thing is that I don't see any difference in the url for any of the languages I use and by consequence google will probably not index it correctly. Some products are indexed in france while others are indexed in dutch.

Best regards,
Trial
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00