Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Category formatting with templates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jhoiland
Starting Member

36 Posts

Posted - October 14 2010 :  18:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I am trying to build a category template that strips out all of the images, formatting, boxes etc. I have a parent cat, the target sub cat (templated with no products), and then about 50 subcats with products in them.

I have xcatproducttemplates set to yes, xcategoryusetemplate set to yes. I have an unrelated category with products in it now that displays correctly based on a template.

For this template all I want is a series of links to the next level of subcats...it should be simple, but I can't get it to do anything.

I created a duplicate of tmp_categorytemplate.htm. I stripped it down to this:

<div>
<span style="text-align:center;">
[FORMATHYPERLINKS SUB]
</span>
</div>

I set the template field in the category to the new template AND...

NOTHING

Then i plugged in a bogus file name in the template field looking for an error and...

Nothing changed again. Everything still displayed using the default tmp_categorytemplate.htm

Then I changed the sitewide xcategorydisplaytemplate to my new template and it works as intended...but on the entire site.

What am I missing about how to get this template to format just the one category that it is supposed to?

Thanks,

JH

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - October 15 2010 :  22:30:47  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I just tried putting a bogus template name in the template field for a specific category on my site, and got an error saying it couldn't read that template, so it seems to work on my site correctly.

I don't find any other settings yet that are different than yours, but i'll keep looking and let you know.

Go to Top of Page

diegomilito
VP-CART Expert

Argentina
779 Posts

Posted - October 15 2010 :  23:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you just need to enter the template file name into the template field of that category edit page, and it usually will load from the template you put it. Maybe you may ask the VPASP support helpdesk for help.

Another way, you can also achieve this by adding a link to your product listing page with a template specified in the URL.
For example :

<a href=”shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=xx&template=mytemplate.htm”>Products</a>

In this example, the products in category xx are displayed using template file mytemplate.htm.

Happy weekend!

Diego.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00