Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Paypal or 2checkout?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GMCDesign
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - August 03 2010 :  16:36:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand Paypal Pro can send thru a unique field, like a customer number, so I can update my database after a successful order...for instance, I need to know the payment was successful right away - I think paypal calls this IPN (Instant payment notification). And not just that the payment happened, but something that identifies the user in my system.

But I don't want to pay the $30 monthly cost. So, can 2checkout do the same thing?

I know 2checkout has a higher transaction fee, but no monthly cost.

Until things take off (hopefully they eventually do), it seems like it would save some money.

Any opinions?

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 03 2010 :  17:45:51  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

PayPal IPN is actually free. Just sign up for PayPal standard and then use the IPN method.

I am actually on holiday at the moment so don't have acccess to the system to post how to do this but the guys in the helpdesk can certainly pint you in the right direction.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

GMCDesign
Starting Member

USA
34 Posts

Posted - August 03 2010 :  18:43:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your vacation!

I was under the impression IPN was only available with PRO. But in any case, it's also my understanding that the free version of paypal does not allow me to "send thru" a unique number, like say customer number.

When the customer returns to the "success" page after payment, I need to know who they are, and what they ordered in code (not having to manually look it up) because I want to adjust data in the database based on their payment. Pretty common thing I would suppose - but I'm confused how to do this with paypal standard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00