Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 SQL Server Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - June 08 2010 :  10:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are currently using sql server 2000 without any problems, but we are looking at moving hosts.

The new hosts have a choice of sql 2005 or sql 2008. I have heard and read of problems with 2005 (kindly from Simon @ BYZ). But apparently 2000 is no longer offered anywhere.

Is 2008 any better and has anyone had any problems with it?

We are using VP 6.5.

Thanks

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 08 2010 :  18:25:47  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

I think SQL 2008 has got rid of a lot of the issues from earlier releases. We have a number of clients using this now without any issues, as far as we know.

2005 was a bit problematic but we have rewritten some code in version 7.0 to actually deal with most of the quirks now.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - June 09 2010 :  04:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

Thanks for replying.

The problem as I see it is we are using 6.5 and we have done a lot of custom coding as you know, by not only adding in extra code in the asp pages but also extra fields in a number of tables.

From what I understand it is this situation where people have had problems so I'm currently in a catch 22 situation.

I don't want to upgrade to V7 as the sites work perfectly well and upgrading to a new version would involve an imense amount of work (we have 13 sites). Plus many of the new features in V7 are already on our sites as we custom coded it.

So effectively we could be starting from scratch.

Lots more thinking to do methinks.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - June 09 2010 :  10:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Decision made!

We are not moving off SQL2000 and so not moving hosts.

From reading through the VP site it appears 6.5 isn't very good with SQL 2005 or 2008 (well not as good as 2000) and so I would have to upgrade to V7. The time needed to implement this across our sites is time I just do not have to spare at the moment.

Steve
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00