Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 Keywords field in Inventory Master
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 20 2010 :  16:53:59  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Under the Long Description box in Inventory Master, there is a field called Keywords. The description for this says "Keywords to be used for searching", but searching how?

I entered keywords here for a few products, but when I search my site for those keywords, nothing is found. Is this on for searching my web spiders?

spinobject
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  19:16:17  Show Profile  Visit spinobject's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That field if for the Meta Tag Keywords in the head of your document for that product... For example:

<title>Profiled Products - Writing Pads</title>
<meta name="description" content="Writing Pad - select style from images to the left or from the list below." />

<meta name="keywords" content="testing1, testing2" />

The title, it gets from the name of the product - in this case - Writing Pads, then it grabs the description from the short description, then keywords from that line. (in this case I put in testing1, testing2)

It really doesn't matter much as google doesn't care what you have in there - won't help you with search results. If you are going to put stuff there, put the same as the title, and other key phrases from the description that would be on that product.

Edited by - spinobject on May 21 2010 19:17:02
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  21:28:36  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much!

Edited by - chrisredco on May 21 2010 21:29:19
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 21 2010 :  22:24:51  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A related question. I've noticed many of my descriptions in the Title of the browser, the description called from the Short Description as you mentioned, are being truncated. Is there something that controls how much can fit in that title atop the browser?
Go to Top of Page

spinobject
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  00:03:48  Show Profile  Visit spinobject's Homepage  Reply with Quote
google is only going to grab about the first 20 words for description... So I imagine that vpasp is truncating past that...

I haven't really checked as past that it's not too necessary...

Hit your key phrasing, and extra words can dilute your SEO Rankings, so make sure you put in some "grab them" phrases including the phrases you are setting up your SEO for. This will help with your click throughs...
Go to Top of Page

chrisredco
VP-CART Super User

282 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:15:57  Show Profile  Visit chrisredco's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very helpful, thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00