Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 VP-ASP 7.0 Questions
 xsavesession
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

windsurfer
VP-CART New User

Canada
91 Posts

Posted - April 13 2010 :  06:29:31  Show Profile  Visit windsurfer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a setting in my shop$config.asp "const xsavesession="No" 'Yes to replace session with Database sessions.
"
I have looked in the setup but there i can't find that when i do a search for "xsavesession"
Whatever explanation there is in the manual i'm not sure if i understand it.
Should this be yes or no ? and what does this actually mean

Regards

dreamcatchers
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - April 19 2010 :  20:06:38  Show Profile  Visit dreamcatchers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that sessio get written to the database and may also be written to cookies or session variables.
Since users may nt allow cookies and session varibles get periodically cleared in web hosting environments, database session recording is more permanent and can provide some stabiliy to shopping carts.

There is additional overhead on the server to write to the database.

However in my experience, many hosting companies are moving to virtual hosting or cloud computing. While these environments allow for more effiencient managemnt of resources (especially with fluxucating demand) they create an impact on ASP applications relying on session variables. You application may dynamclly run on a number of servers based on availability and need for computing resources. Your session variables it seems don't move and get removed. This results in shopping carts suddenly becoming empty.

I have been attempting to turn on database sessions to get aroun tis issue. However I am getting errors and home page not loading.

I have a support ticket in andam hoping it is just me and not the programs as I desperately need this to work.

An alternative is to host on a dedicated server. This is more expensive.

Ramon Smitherman
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 20 2010 :  03:21:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you are using SQL SERVER database, you can use database session to store the customer session into db.

The config "xsavesession" can only be set from the file "shop$config.asp" located in the folder "config" and "admin/config".

If you change it to const xsavesession="Yes", that means you want to activate the use of database session.

Using database session enable your customers to access their session in your site after they have come back in such period of time, e.g. the cart session or login session.

If you turn it on, database session will replace your site session.

Database session have the ability to update the product pricing automatically for the cart usage.

For example, if we add a product with price $100 in the cart. After then, we close the site without process to checkout.

After few days, the administrator of the site updates the product to have new price $120.

When we come back to the site after a week for example, we still can see the product in the cart and with new pricing $120.

Hope this helps.

Wilson
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

dreamcatchers
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - April 20 2010 :  12:55:14  Show Profile  Visit dreamcatchers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is correct and verbatum from the documentation. However there are some errors that are currently being worked out. I am waiting for a fix from VPASP developers and will respond again when it is corrected.

Short of the errors, the functionality works great and is a feature that can differentiate a merchant from others.

Ramon Smitherman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00