Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 category product updates
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 11 2010 :  11:23:32  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the moment if I wish to update product categories I have to select edit from the product listing and go into the very comprehensive list on page admin/shopa_addproduct.asp.Takes a lot of time.
Is there a better method than this, one at a time layout.
I would have thought there would be a repeating section where a number of categories can be updated with one click.
Thanks for any advice.
Regards
John

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 11 2010 :  20:10:57  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/VPASP_700_User_Manual.zip
Chaper 6.11 Bulk Update
has instructions for choosing tables and fileds.
You can also use the export/import facility to transfer .CSV files for editing
OR
Just work on your db at home and FTP or Replace with CSVs if using an SQL

DB work can be tricky so make sure you have plenty of backup- backup versions

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
[email protected]
http://www.ironhawker.com
425-828-0738
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  03:48:42  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks RC for your reply,

If I am correct the page admin/shopa_editdisplaybulk.asp helps a little.
I think on that page one can edit
ccode cname cprice and cdesurl

The main requirement for me at the moment to edit is ccategory and that I believe is not editable within the list. It can of course be edited by selecting the edit icon on the right, to update the complete record but this takes too much time.

It would be far better to be able to select which textboxes are included in the list for updating.

Alternatively have a selection of other updateable lists available.

Edited by - johnhardy on March 12 2010 03:49:44
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  04:30:10  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in the top right switch to Advanced
Then there are selectors for all the table columns
catextra catextra2 ect
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  06:06:00  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks
I can see the button Advanced Settings but cant see what I should be selecting in that menu to find the field selectors.
Would you please explain a little more.
Cheers
John
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  07:04:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

which version of VP-ASP are you using?
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  08:23:14  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
V7
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  08:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If i understand correctly you want to change the ccategory field that products are assigned to without having to edit each record. Although I do not have V7 yet I'm fairly sure that the importing procedures will be the same.
In my opinion the best way to do this is via a .csv file import with only 3 columns
1. catalogid
2. ccategory
3. level3 (if you want a product in more than 1 category add the categoryids separated by a comma in this field)

Import this file via Bulk Import in admin
Table name = products
match field = catalogid
Delimiter = , (comma)

You will then have to run the file convertproducts.asp which you will have to upload to your server as you would have removed this file before you went live with the site. When you have run the file, remove it from the server.

If other forum users that are using V7 know if the bulk import is any different please post.

I hope this helps

Regards
Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  09:27:39  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carrol.
I still have convertproducts.asp because this site is on my local machine.
The ccategory field entries at the moment are incorrect in the original table so I cannot import them.

I thought if there was a scrolling update list available where I could multiple update ccategory without going into each individual record this would be helpful even at a later date for the customer.
I thought that is what Ironhawker was speaking of.
Regards
John
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  09:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are still using localhost then my advice is to edit the products directly in the original table. Just open the products table from within the database.
The admin panel will not allow you to bulk update the ccategory field because of the relation this field has with the prodcategories table. You either have to do each record individually or import a tab text or csv file directly to the products table as I outlined earlier. Once you have the original products table the way you want it, export a copy of the table to use for future reference.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  10:04:44  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Carrol
Sounds like sense.
I think the customer will find the standard data entry rather overwhelming but we will see...
Regards
john
Go to Top of Page

ironhawker
VP-CART Super User

USA
260 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  12:42:15  Show Profile  Visit ironhawker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have multiple categories for a product your CSV uploads can be uploaded 2,000 at a time.
I have built a 50+ multiple category VPAsp presentation this way.
http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/shopexd.asp?id=885 has instruction on creating the macro to build CSV files.

If you have not propigated to SQL yet you could build the products table in ACCESS locally.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Randy "RC" Corn
[email protected]
http://www.ironhawker.com
425-828-0738
Go to Top of Page

johnhardy
Starting Member

United Kingdom
46 Posts

Posted - March 12 2010 :  14:11:06  Show Profile  Visit johnhardy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information regarding macros.
Its a good time to experiment and find out!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00