Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Search Results with categories
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 22 2010 :  22:02:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,

I have been looking around and have not been able to find an answer for the following.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible for the search results to show what category a product is in?

Thank you!

webyhost
Starting Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - February 26 2010 :  23:16:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bueller...Bueller...Fry...Fry...Fry?

Maybe this is not available in 6.5?

perhaps it is in 7?
Go to Top of Page

Sharon
VP-CART Super User

357 Posts

Posted - March 02 2010 :  12:34:28  Show Profile  Visit Sharon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As you can have a product in multiple categories how's that going to work?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 03 2010 :  07:54:55  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As far as I know it's not possible to do that in default vpasp.

I mean, you can show the breadcrumbs on the product-detail pages if you've clicked through the category links etc, but not if you've clicked from something like a top-seller or a home-page featured-products link etc or done a keyword search and then clicked on the more link (as far as I can see this is the same on v7 too).

And as per sharon's posting, if you have products in more than one category then it starts to get quite complex, and if you have categories which are more than 1 level deep then it gets even more complicated.

I think I get the general idea of what you're after, and there are potentially 2 main aspects to it:

1) when doing a keyword search, you want it to display the list of hit-categories on the results product-summary page as well as the hit-products.
eg you do a search for "table" and it'd show all the products that have the word "table" in it but it'd also show you a list of relevant category branches at the top like:
dining furniture>coffee tables
books>how to build wooden tables

2) On the product detail page show the relevant category branches
ie regardless of where you've clicked-from, display the list of all the relevant category branches eg:
dining furniture>coffee tables>glass
glass>funiture>coffee tables

on both of those, each element of each branch would be linked (like it does on the breadcrumbs).

anyway; if you're after point 1 and are on vpasp 6.5 or below then you could use our byz116 addon to achieve that (we haven't released a vpaspv7 equivalent of byz116 yet, but we probably will do soon) -
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=317&opu=n
(click on the demo link on that page to see how it works/looks)

Point 2 might not be needed because if you're displaying the hit-categories on keyword searches then it's not as vital to show all the relevant branches on the product-detail page.
Point 2 is something which probably could be coded-up by reusing a lot of the logic that byz116/byz121 has in it, but it'd need to be custom-coded or done as an addon (unless vpasp have plans to add it to default vpasp)

Whatever you do, whether it's an addon or a customisation, make sure you take backups before changing anything!

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 03 2010 07:58:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly