Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Announcements
 Twitter
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - February 03 2010 :  21:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you guys on twitter or facebook? I couldn't find anything. I'd love to be able to follow you guys for updates on there.

Edited by - webshaun on February 03 2010 21:42:56

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - February 04 2010 :  04:22:07  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Shaun

We aren't actually. I am possibly a bit of a dinosaur but I am actually not sure what you do with Twitter or Facebook for a product like ours?

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - February 05 2010 :  23:21:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can think of many uses for twitter and facebook for an eCommerce software package. Not only do you get more exposure but it's a great place to post update notifications or anything you want people to know. I'd seriously recommend getting an account... it is free after all...
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - February 06 2010 :  09:04:53  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been looking into Twitter etc too. My initial reaction was exactly the same as Cam's; being new to twitter I couldn't work out what the point was as it was almost totally a 1-way communication tool and it's severely restricted in the length of the message for what you can "tweet" etc, and blogs, forums, mailshots seemed to be better suited to achieve what twitter tries to achieve.

In the end, after using/testing it for a while, it finally twigged in my mind what kind of thing it can be used for when it comes to businesses (as opposed to personal).

After trying it and banging my head against the wall wondering what the point was for quite a while, I now see it in the same way as webshaun sees it; for businesses you'd basically use it like a public (short) mailshot, telling people the latest info about what your business is doing.

It's not a replacement for mailshots, blogs, forums etc, it's just a different way of people being able to get info about things that you think they should know about.

So, we're intending to use it to let people know when new addons get released, or when upgrades get released to existing addons, and to float ideas about other stuff generally.

We've now officially enabled our bigyellowzone twitter account and posted a couple of tweets. We'll add more tweets as/when it's appropriate, probably once or twice a week.

Having played around with it, I can now see the point of businesses using it, but I still don't understand the appeal of using it for personal use (ie the "I'm going to the toilet now, I'll be going down the shops at 2pm" usage), but maybe I'm missing something.

Anyway; we're on it for business, feel free to follow if you want (but bear in mind that if you reply to a tweet, it's likely that your reply will be public, or that the reply to your reply will be public; in this regard I see it as almost a totally 1-way communication tool) -

http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
www.BigYellowKey.com
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/bigyellowzone
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on February 06 2010 09:22:10
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - February 06 2010 :  12:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic Simon, you spelled it out exactly. I, like many people, get tweets from sites i follow as an alert on my desktop. Facebook is even more comprehensive as you are not limited to what you post and the length of the message you post. Also facebook is more of a shared discussion than twitter, facebook is my personal favorite though i don't get notifications like i do with twitter. Most companies post to both facebook and twitter.

Facebook/Twitter integration into VPASP would be really incredible as well. Like, any new blog or news post into VPASP is pushed into the sites facebook/twitter account.

Edited by - webshaun on February 06 2010 12:10:41
Go to Top of Page

webshaun
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - February 11 2010 :  20:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a follow up, there's a nice application out there in beta called TweetDeck that allows you to post to all social networking sites you have an account with at once. http://www.tweetdeck.com/
Go to Top of Page

savvymedias
VP-CART New User

191 Posts

Posted - March 06 2010 :  20:05:51  Show Profile  Visit savvymedias's Homepage  Reply with Quote
http://www.involver.com makes an app add-on so that you can add your tweets to your FB fan page.
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - March 14 2010 :  06:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use seesmic (http://seesmic.com/) for our tweeting, but after testing 3 or 4 I came to the conclusion that there was no best on the market. I only settled for seesmic as it was the last one I tested and didn't put any annoying addin into outlook or other places as some did.

Back to the uses of twitter - we didn't use it at all but started very slowly and are now trying to at least do 1 tweet every other day. As Simon said it is good for short bursts of info. In our case new products, new site functionality, items back in stock ect. We are planning to really push our new look checkout pages which are currently being designed (we are enclosing them - i.e. removing all the menus etc) and hopefully get feedback as to whether people like or hate them.

I would agree it is harder for VP, but just because you can't post every day or so doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop including vibrators and dildos.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - April 03 2010 :  00:58:23  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

We are including the Addthis module in the new service pac for Twitter and Facebook.

Believe it or not the dinosaurs here, me, have also signed up on Twitter and Facebook. We have posted a couple of "tweets" as well. Will take me awhile to get my head around these new terms. Sigh.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

tester
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - June 15 2010 :  12:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear the dinosaur is breathing new life.

When and where can we get our hands on the new service pac for Twitter and Facebook? We're also after the addthis module.
We're on ver7
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - June 16 2010 :  11:22:46  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This will be in the new Service Pac SP1.

The delivery date for this is being pushed out a bit, mostly due to me.

Apparently I keep asking for new features to be installed or improved based on chatting with people on the forum.

I have just been told I have to stop submitting these so hopefully it should be coming in the next couple of weeks.

We have the beta testers sinking their teeth into it currently.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - July 29 2010 :  08:12:37  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking around Facebook and ecommerce, I saw this page from threadless: http://www.facebook.com/threadless?v=app_116832620224. You choose a size and click add to cart, and get transferred to the threadless site to complete the txn.

Looks brilliant. Is something like this on the development list?

regards

David Heriot
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 29 2010 :  09:38:32  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi David,

Very nice. Nothing in the wings for this but if you can get me some info on how to do this I will see what we can do.

Thank you.

Cam Flanigan
VP-ASP Cart Support

Follow us on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/vpasp
Go to Top of Page

faolie
VP-CART New User

98 Posts

Posted - August 04 2010 :  06:55:55  Show Profile  Visit faolie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam, no idea - just starting to explore links between websites and Facebook pages. However, it was done for threadless by a company called Context Optional (contextoptional.com).

DH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00