Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Credit card fraud and hackers
 What to do once you have been hit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

argh
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - February 25 2003 :  23:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were recently sent out an order that has proved to be fradulent.

I called the police (we are in Australia) and they said that the card holders bank will begin investigations and then involve them later on.

i called the bank. They will get our evidence but i doubt they will chase up the fraud itself.

Does anyone have any tips? What can we do against these assholes after we have sent something? Any other prevention tips that are not already posted here?

Thanks for you help

Cam
VP-CART Super User

Australia
361 Posts

Posted - March 06 2003 :  06:36:49  Show Profile  Visit Cam's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have had a great deal of stolen credit cards put through our site as we offer an immediate download as compared to shipped goods.

We have traced a large number of these people and passed their details onto the police. The police weren't that interested in tracking it down as it is out of their jurisdiction.

The banks don't care because they still get their percentage from you and then when the order is disputed they simply deduct it from your account. No incentive to do anything about the problem. They are the real criminals in this situation.

We have instituted a large number of security features into our site now to try to limit the damage these thieves can do.

One of the solutions is to simply block offending countries from being able to access or order from your site. You can do this by blocking IP address ranges.

There are a number of other tests you can do such as making a follow up phone calls to confirm the order and specify no mobiles etc. Not fool proof but it all helps.

Cheers,
Cam

Cam Flanigan
YourVirtualStore Sales
e-mail: http://www.vpasp.com/sales/shopcustcontact.asp
web: http://www.yourvirtualstore.net

Build you own YourVirtualStore!!!
www.yourvirtualstore.net
Go to Top of Page

Jill
VP-CART Super User

USA
249 Posts

Posted - March 08 2003 :  17:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really have any great ideas on what to do about this, but I have often thought that us merchants need to do something about this - the fact that no one really cares, since THEY get their money - from US, of course. The processing company I used to have claimed to do address verification, when in fact, they only checked the number, expiry, and to see if there was enough room on the card. But of course, when there was a chargeback, I paid. That's not right. What can we do?

Jill

Go to Top of Page

The_Mad_Hacker
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - March 27 2003 :  03:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran for 3 years with no hot cards...

We do not "gift order" we ship ONLY to the address on the card.

Since we keep no inventory we process cards off-line by hand and the setup we use requires the address be entered and will only process the card if the address is a match.

Worst thing I got was cutomers that did not know what they ordered or wanted, but then we slam a 20% restocking charge. and sell the goods on ebay. I have never had to list anything twice on ebay! NO CHARGEBACKS only 5 returns.

But then thats the Gun Crowd...

quote:

I don't really have any great ideas on what to do about this, but I have often thought that us merchants need to do something about this - the fact that no one really cares, since THEY get their money - from US, of course. The processing company I used to have claimed to do address verification, when in fact, they only checked the number, expiry, and to see if there was enough room on the card. But of course, when there was a chargeback, I paid. That's not right. What can we do?

Jill

Go to Top of Page

wcooper3
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - March 27 2003 :  09:02:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too offer downloadable goods. I was hit by a clown in Indonesia using a credit card with a Canadian billing address. He downloaded $1,800 in products.

Here is the best part... I am (soon to be was) using 2checkout. They told me at the time of the transaction they knew the difference between the IP address country and the credit card billing country, but let the transaction go through. They reversed the charges 5 days later after they "investigated" the purchase.

I spoke to another larger company doing what I do and they were quite helpful with a wonderful suggestion. Their credit card processor "scores" the transactions to look for a level of fraud. The wrote a routine into their site that blocks the download link if the score from the credit card processor is below a predetermined threshold. If it is below the threshold, the customer is returned to a screen telling them the credit card information they entered is showing as a potential fradulent purchase and that they will contact the customer at the email address and phone number provided within 24 hours to verify purchase.

Their fradualent purchases have all but disappeared.

Great idea. The problem know is I have no idea how to program this.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00