Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Keep that session alive in the Admin Console
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - November 18 2009 :  22:27:18  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How many times have you cursed (or your customer for those of us that are developers) when you let your admin console sit idle just long enough while you were typing a long description, hit Save, and you get the dreaded "unauthorized user". UGH!

I think I found a solution but wanted to post here to see if anyone saw a downside.

I searched and found something called Session Keep-Alive. http://www.808.dk/?code-ajax-session-keepalive

I built this code into the header of the admin console template on my test site pretty easily. Opened up a content page for editing, let it site idle for 3+ hours while I watched tv, came back to it and hit Save. IT WORKED!

Anybody see any problems with this???

Regards,
Eric Lammers
www.KrackMedia.com
Building More Than Web Sites . . . Building a Web Presence

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - November 23 2009 :  00:38:00  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

Great find.

I suppose my main concern with this is that you would be taking a resource from the server and holding it open so no one else could use it.

If the server had say 100 VPASP sites then I could see this becoming a problem fairly quickly as resources for the actual customers would be quickly used.

If on a dedicated server then I don't see any issues realistically.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00