Posted - November 13 2009 : 11:11:08
| By using support points and going back and forth for ten hours with technical support, I have figured out how to create downloads after the sale from the shopthanks.asp page. The manual is cryptic at best and obviously written by a programmer and not an end user. So I'm adding end-user, non-programmer instructions for "normal" users who just want to set up their cart and sell stuff, not learn a whole new way of thinking.
This is a two-part process. First you should set up a folder on your server inside your VPASP folder. I called mine "ebooks" because that's what I sell as a downloadable product. It should reside on the same file level as "images" where all your product images are stored after upload through your product pages.
After you do this, you're ready for the second part of the process...
1. Log into to your VPASP administration page.
2. Go to Set-Up (Shop Configuration).
3. Search on these two things and set the following fields as follows (search box is at the top right hand side of Shop Configuration):
xdownloads = Yes
xendoforderhyperlinkfield = orderdownload
4. Then, make sure your payment methods are approved for downloads. Search for this setup file:
xendofordervalidpayments (example: Visa,Mastercard,American Express,Discover)
5. Go to View/Edit Products menu through Everyday Tasks > Products > View/Edit Products menu.
6. Click Edit button next to the product that you would add the secure download feature.
7. Scroll down and find the Download field and enter the folder and file name within your VPASP folder on your server. The one I just set up looks like this:
8. Click Update Record button.
9. Place a dummy order and you will then see that on the top of the shopthanks.asp page you can successfully download the file to your hard drive.
[Note: This method does not seem to prevent the user from right-clicking on the link on the shopthank.asp page and capturing a link to the file being downloaded. Because I'm purchasing a rather expensive digital rights management tool from www.locklizard.com to protect the books I sell through my cart, I couldn't care less who gets the original files because they're no good to anyone without my IP-based authorization after I process the payment and email the purchaser with the unlocking links. If you are concerned about this you may want to search elsewhere on the forum... I have no wisdom to lend you as I know what I've shared and nothing more.]
I hope this helps you unravel the mystery of this powerful VPASP feature!
Edited by - TheParson on November 13 2009 11:12:14