Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Changing Web Hosting Company
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

standout
VP-CART New User

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - July 21 2009 :  16:29:46  Show Profile  Visit standout's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a "rookie" when it comes to moving to a new web hosting company when it includes a shopping cart. If I move all files from the folder where all my vpasp shop data resides is that all I need to do to have the shop work - or do I need to complete other steps first?

STANDOUT Promotional Products
Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
www.standoutcanada.com

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 22 2009 :  07:27:06  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

You may need to update your shop$config.asp file to ensure your database connection settings are correct.

The changes will depend on whether you are using Access, SQL Server or MySQL.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Cam
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

standout
VP-CART New User

Canada
70 Posts

Posted - January 02 2011 :  19:57:04  Show Profile  Visit standout's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are using 7.0

We are moving web-hosts again. The first time we were just using Access for the database. Now we are moving with a MySql database in use. Are there step-by-step directions available to properly move over the database to the new VPS server?

STANDOUT Promotional Products
Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
www.standoutcanada.com
Go to Top of Page

exigant
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - January 03 2011 :  14:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See if your new host will do it for you. I went through hell trying to get my MySQL database moved from my old terrible host to my new awesome host. In the end, even though I was following all instructions to the letter, I couldn't get it to stop giving me errors. So I pestered tech support until they said "let me try" and was good after that.

On your old host, see if they have a database section of their backdoor access (not your carts backdoor... your hosts) and they should have a way to backup the database to a folder on your host. If not, ask their tech support if they can make one for you. Then take that file and on your new host, go to their (hopefully much better database section) and upload the file per their instructions.

Also when you are done, see if you can have backups of your database made automatically every week (or daily if you have a lot of people accessing your site). That way if you ever need to move, you will have backup files ready to go or if something bad happens you will have plenty of backups as well. Just don't forget to clean house every now and again to get rid of really old back up's. I do it every 4 days and keep 2 months worth just for the heck of it.

Currently Running Cart Version 6.5
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00