Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Comments about VP-ASP
 Poor Design and Developers Documentation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lochness
Starting Member

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - July 21 2009 :  10:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a super newbie with regard to VP-ASP. Having just purchased my first version for a client, I was pleased to see that it offered pretty much everything my client needed.

I am however really struggling with the lack of Design and Developers documentation. The 15 page design guide gives a great beginners guide but leaves one hanging and completely unsure as where to go next.

I am not a newbie to ASP but I can't seem to figure out the structure of the package and as a result am too afraid to change anything in case I muck something else up. I can't work out how to change templates and have been mucking around with the MySQL settings for two days. (Yes and I have logged a ticket).

More than anything I find the lack of a good knowledgebase the most frustrating thing. Most applications I have dealt with have a collection (byt collection I mean for that 20 documents) of solutions to common problems which can be accessed by registered users. Its seems the common response in the forum is: (Surprise Surprise) Log a ticket at the helpdesk.

Now I know everybody has to make money and we get points when we purchase a package but the rather unhelpful 'paste your server details into the block' answers delay one from moving forward with a package that advertises itself as very easy to setup and get going. By remote fixing the package I am learning even less about the package because someone else is repairing my site for me.

I have been struggling to get VP-ASP configured, designed, setup and looking pretty for two weeks and would just like to see a single document or forum post that does not leave one hanging and feeling lost.

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 21 2009 :  13:24:02  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

I am sorry to hear you are having issues. For database related problems it is difficult to guess what problems are without being able to look at the set up of the site ourselves.

Every server is set up differently so while we would love to have a generic trouble shooter it often is not possible.

Our support team work around the clock Monday to Friday trying to ensure any issues are dealt with quickly and helpfully.

I am not sure if you have seen our Design Guide or the User Guide?

User Guide:
http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/VPASP_650_User_Manual.zip

Design Guide:
http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/VPASP_650_Design_Guide.zip

We also have an online resource you can search through which we try to update when we come across a common problem:
http://helpnotes.vpasp.com/

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

lochness
Starting Member

South Africa
3 Posts

Posted - July 22 2009 :  01:39:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Cam,

I have seen both of those guides(as already mentioned in my previous post), which I feel do not give me enough information on how to effectively implement changes to the site.

The most recent issue is I am trying to set up payment options to allow me to display banking details for a direct payment. Or a CASH deposit offer. The helpnotes section does not cover any intermediate or advanced adjustments. I reiterate I am so concerned with making a change and disabling the site that I don't know where to start.

Is there another site that one can use to assist in the editing of the site?
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - July 22 2009 :  07:22:04  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These would be custom code changes and not really something we can cover in our help guides.

Depending on where you want to display this information you may want to modify either shopthanks.asp if you wish to display after checkout or shopcheckout.asp if you want to list on the credit card page if not using a gateway.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

pacificmed
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - January 07 2010 :  18:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. Also new to VP-ASP but a seasoned software person and developer etc and correlating the .asp files to their function and the page presented is a real problem.

They need more technical documentation to correlate all of this and more a systematic way to know where to make changes -- I am talking even simple text changes.

Does anyone know of any 3rd party documentation that gives any real design insight? I also have been thru even the 7.0 version docs and faqs and they just don't provide the architecture view needed.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 09 2010 :  00:54:12  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Most common text snippets within VPASP are stored in the database. By this I mean any text that appears in the cart such as shopping messages, check out messages etc.

If there is some text you want to change you can do a search for this in the database under:

Advanced Settings » International » Language

Search for the text, make the change and then reset the language you have updated. The change will then be reflected in the front end.

We are also working on enhancing the Design Guide to give a more in-depth insight into the structure of the cart to make it easier to make deeper structural changes.

Hope this helps

Thanks
Cam

VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00