Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 When a product is sold out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mcg
Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - July 20 2009 :  12:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
here is something i am now considering

when a product reaches its outofstocklimit -so for my purposes when there is zero stock - i have managed to change the message to read sorry we have sold out.

however what i thought would be interesting would be once the stock level reaches zero that the cprice field on the product changes from the price that we were charging so that it also reads SOLD OUT!

does anyone know how i can do that ??

i am assuming i need to write a small routine within the fileio.asp
somewhere but maybe wrong

any advice much appreciated

thanks

mcg

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 20 2009 :  16:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I think if I was a potential customer and i saw an item was sold out I would still like to know the price so that I could perhaps be tempted to return to your site another time to see if the item was back in stock. That's just my opinion though.
On our site I have set up a "more stock due" date which shows instead of the order button when an item is out of stock. This gets updated daily and at least lets our customers know at a glance when to expect more stock, and our customers definitely do like to know.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

mcg
Starting Member

29 Posts

Posted - July 29 2009 :  11:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
thanks for your advice - i would love to know the code for what you have done if at all possible ?

ps i have posted another (naive) question just now in the customization section if you can help

many thanks
Martin
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - July 30 2009 :  04:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Martin,

there wasn't really any code written for the more stock due display, it's just a case of using one of the pother fields in the products table to store a date or message and then display this field on the product templates. eg

$ More stock due:<font color="#000099"> [translate pother4]</font>

Because we have many thousands of products and our stock re-order processing which creates the 'more stock due' date is done through our main office, I use an exported csv file from our main office system to upload the expected re-stock dates into the web products table. We display the dates even when there is stock available but at least it shows the customer that there is more on order. There is one drawback to my updates - you have to use a SQL statement to remove all the data in the pother field before uploading the new file (many of our products will come back into stock in a single day so the date has to be removed) but once it's all set up it only takes about 2 minutes each day to complete.

I went a step further with this and now provide our customers with a 'notify me when back in stock' service which has proved far more popular than I had originally thought, but this feature did require a fair amount of custom coding and the addition of a new table in the database.

Hope this helps,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

the-war-lord
Starting Member

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - August 05 2009 :  20:35:21  Show Profile  Visit the-war-lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
I have been looking for a similar notification to customers advising them when an item is back in stock.

We have about 6000 items in the database and manually advising customers when something is back in stock is very time consuming. I have been able to upload our stock quantities into the database to show how much of an item we have.

I had a look at your site but couldn't see how the feature worked.

Can you let me know how you did this modification or who did this for you.

Thank you in advance

Russell Marczan
www.the-war-lord.com.au
www.thecombatcompany.com.au
www.rvmhobbies.com.au

Edited by - the-war-lord on August 05 2009 20:36:41
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - August 06 2009 :  04:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russell,

The notify when back in stock feature is something that I hope the new VP-ASP v7.0 will include because although I did this modification to our site myself, it's not fully automated and still requires me to physically select which customers to send the 'back in stock' mail template to. We have around 6,000 products too and we receive large deliveries of stock usually twice each week, so yes, it can be a little time consuming but at least it's only once or twice a week at most and only takes a few minutes once you get familiar with it. I didn't really have the time or the confidence to create a fully automated email version, but if you're interested in the feature that I do have, I can give you a temporary login to our site to try it out (most of the features on our site are only available to our registered trade customers) and then give you the modifications required if you want to set it up.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

the-war-lord
Starting Member

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - August 25 2009 :  01:44:06  Show Profile  Visit the-war-lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
Sorry about the slow reply. I have just returned from a quick break.

If you could give me the temporary login we would love to see how you have made it work for your company.

Regards Russell
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - August 25 2009 :  03:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Russell,

if you could give me an email address I'll send you the login details and some information on how the feature works.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

the-war-lord
Starting Member

Australia
21 Posts

Posted - August 25 2009 :  05:02:13  Show Profile  Visit the-war-lord's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carrol,
Thanks for that. My email is [email protected]

Regards Russell
Go to Top of Page

janmanzer411
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - September 11 2009 :  09:36:09  Show Profile  Visit janmanzer411's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by the-war-lord

Hi Carrol,
I have been looking for a similar notification to customers advising them when an item is back in stock.

We have about 6000 items in the database and manually advising customers when something is back in stock is very time consuming. I have been able to upload our stock quantities into the database to show how much of an item we have.

I had a look at your site but couldn't see how the feature worked.

Can you let me know how you did this modification or who did this for you.

Thank you in advance

Russell Marczan
www.the-war-lord.com.au
www.thecombatcompany.com.au
www.rvmhobbies.com.au

Me too. It would really help us.
Thank you for sharing.s

Best Regards,
Jan Manzer
http://www.janmanzer.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - September 16 2009 :  05:05:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's too much code and instructions involved in my custom work to post it in here, but it looks like the new v7.0 has an auto email when back in stock feature.

Carrol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00