Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 Customer carts timing out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rory
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - April 07 2009 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a client using VPASP, but more as a wholesale ordering
system than as a traditional shopping cart. So his customers typically
spend a much longer time assembling an order, and the carts are quite
large.

He's been getting complaints about customers losing carts - presumably because their sessions time out. I think I've increased the session time as much as possible in the admin, but is there any other option to have sessions maintained longer - even indefinitely? Can we use cookies?

This seems to be happening quite a bit, and he's getting some angry customers.

AussieBoy1958
Starting Member

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - April 09 2009 :  03:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know from which version this option was put, but I have upgraded from V4.5 to V6.5. You can set the session timeout to what you want. Default is 10 mins from memory, and there is a warning that setting it higher might slow down the cart for all users.

In V6.5 and possibly earlier, your customers can save their carts. If you can enable this, encourage customers to save, then load.

Hope this helps.

Australian Made by Mum, and proud of it :-)
Go to Top of Page

AussieBoy1958
Starting Member

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - April 09 2009 :  04:00:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, have a look at this thread.

http://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7918

Go to Top of Page

rory
Starting Member

18 Posts

Posted - April 10 2009 :  18:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks AussieBoy, that looked like exactly what I needed - until I saw the add-on was pulled for security reasons.

Anyone know exactly what effect increasing the timeout will have for a low-volume site? I've currently got it at 30 minutes, but even that's not long enough for some customers.
Go to Top of Page

AussieBoy1958
Starting Member

Australia
16 Posts

Posted - April 15 2009 :  00:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it would depend on your site host, given your cart doesn't need many customers. Give it a try.
Maybe e-mail or post a notice on the shoppage_header.htm as to what you are doing and why. Ask for feedback from your customers.
Some customers may not like such a long session, for security reasons. But if the majority do like it, and it works, it's profitable for you to extend it.

Go to Top of Page

Russ Colburn
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - April 15 2009 :  14:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Russ Colburn's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If it's a low volume site, you will have little or no noticeable issues. I have an admin site for a client set up on a shared hosting server. Because they are on it all day, I have the timeout set to 8 hours. they generally have between 3-5 users on all day.

Colburn Consulting, Inc.
www.colburn.us
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00