Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Minimum zone shipping charge - how
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - April 06 2009 :  13:28:21  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is the scenario.

I have different shipping rates based on zones using weight-range to calculate. Works well.

However I need to tweak this fairly urgently. One zone has free shipping but I need to add a default shipping price to this one where an order is under £10 so that anything under that amount will incur a charge of say £2. Free shipping is a great incentive but not when customers are buying items that amount to £1 or two as we're losing on shipping costs. I don't want to reject customers because their order doesn't meet a specific value either.

I presume there might be a way to do this via handling but can't get my head around this one at all. The rule needs to apply to ONE shipping zone only.

Edited by - jackbox on April 06 2009 13:29:09

Admiral The X
VP-CART New User

USA
52 Posts

Posted - April 08 2009 :  18:41:44  Show Profile  Visit Admiral The X's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you have an effective list of shipping postal ranges to evaluate? I can see your in UK, are you doing national UK shipping or international? If your doing international shipping with UPS module i may be able to give some pointers. If your doing "national" UK shipping with UPS i think as far as UPS is concerned the whole country is 1 zone no?

very little postal code range

I can just tell what what i did for the US and hopefully you can use the concept.

US postals are broken down by first 3 to serviceable areas by the postal service, i think something similar is true for UK postals. 10025 us breaks down to 100 for manhattan. SE12 breaks down to SE for a part of london?

SO anyway, review your postal system to identify how much of a postal code you need to read to build a system to evaluate it. Then identify how many breaks in this you need. For the US most shippers will need between 5 and 9 price groups potentially depending on how they evaluate HI, AK and some other places.

Once you know how much of your customers postals you need to read you can evaluate rather quickly where they are what zone they are in and how much to charge. For me i make the adjustments to the pricing in the realtimeups asp file where the ups rates are created. I'm not sure what you are using or even how your shipping or where, but the concept should be about the same.

Air Armory - Airsoft
http://www.AirArmory.com - shop
http://sitrep.airarmory.com - news
Go to Top of Page

jackbox
VP-CART New User

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - April 09 2009 :  09:20:58  Show Profile  Visit jackbox's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check if UK Zone1, if not abort, else check if smaller than 20.0 and apply surcharge

Thats essentially what I need it to do. I think this question has come up numerous times in various currencies.

In the UK, there are basically two zones, plus international ones. If buyer selects zone 1 (using weight range) i need it to make the additional check summarised above. Otherwise whats happening is that zone1 which has free shipping, is getting orders for just over £1 which then makes sales run at a loss.

I suppose the problem is that in VPASP you opt for one type of shipping calculation and thats that. For those who have raised this issue before, whats needed is that additional check but I'm a graphic designer, not a coder. I understand the logic behind nearly all VPASP routines and have a rough idea of whats needed to solve this but the syntax eludes me :)

Thanks for your reply Admiral. Would be good if we could solve this as VPASP has gone through several version numbers and this one problem remains.
Go to Top of Page

Admiral The X
VP-CART New User

USA
52 Posts

Posted - April 11 2009 :  11:32:41  Show Profile  Visit Admiral The X's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yea, out of the box, shipping rate solutions are defiantly a problem for most products. As programmer with shipping industry programming experience i jumped on this immediately. Wish i could help more, but its kinda hard we we aren't all using the same solutions =)

Air Armory - Airsoft
http://www.AirArmory.com - shop
http://sitrep.airarmory.com - news
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00