Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Problems and bugs
 "Nothing in Cart"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashton.Sanders
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - March 29 2009 :  18:43:37  Show Profile  Visit Ashton.Sanders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I've had a number of potential clients tell me that when they click the "add to cart" button, they get sent to the shopping cart as normal, but their shopping cart is empty.

Here's the information from one browser that experienced this problem:

ActiveX Controls: True
AOL: False
Browser: IE
ClrVersion: 3.5.30729
Cookies: True
Crawler: False
JavaApplets: True
JavaScript: True
MajorVersion: 7
MinorVersion: 0
Platform: WinXP
Type: IE7
VBScript: True
Version: 7.0

I have tried the cart with this same type of browser/OS setup with no problems, so I figured the guy was just an idiot, but now it has happened 3 times. I know two of them were IE7 and XP.

Does vpasp use sessions to add items to the cart?

Any other help or notes on this would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Ashton

-Ashton Sanders
-www.websitesinaflash.com

g3nnin
VP-CART Super User

209 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  14:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

You might want to check if "const xmysite" code in shop$config.asp is filled. As this will likely would create an empty cart error.
Go to Top of Page

Ashton.Sanders
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - May 07 2009 :  16:26:46  Show Profile  Visit Ashton.Sanders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I think I mentioned in this post that it only happens to a very few amount of people... like less than .001%

What does that variable do?

It sounds like it would make the cart end up empty for everyone, not just a select few.

-Ashton Sanders

EDIT: And, I did check. That variablle is correctly declared with the location of the cart.

Edited by - Ashton.Sanders on May 07 2009 16:29:18
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 08 2009 :  06:43:43  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I wonder if they start off being on the "non-www" domain, and then get moved to the "www" domain when adding to the cart (or vice-versa) - it's possible that some people have got browser settings which stop one site from being able to post data to another site.

So posting from "mysite.com" to "www.mysite.com" which would normally work fine for most people, in some instances due to someone's high-security browser settings might come up with an attitude of "different site/domain; I'm not posting this info to another site"

It's worth asking the customers effected by it if that's happening (ie ask which url they're on before they press the button, and then ask which url they're on when they get their empty view-cart page)

The standard vpasp way of posting (adding the xmysite config value to the front of the shopaddtocart.asp link for posting) would deal with most instances, but in some instances you might want/need to force the user onto the right domain before they press the add to cart button (ie as soon as they land anywhere on your site)

Also, there's a database-held config option for xmysite too, so make sure you change the value in shop$config.asp and also the value in site-setup (it might be flagged as hidden in admin depending on which version you're on, but some gateway/shipping interfaces still use the database-held option rather than the shop$config.asp one; the xmysite option in both the site setup and in shop$config.asp should be set to the same as each other.

see also:
BYZ044 - Domain Tools for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=213&opu=n

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on May 08 2009 06:47:13
Go to Top of Page

Ashton.Sanders
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - May 10 2009 :  22:05:32  Show Profile  Visit Ashton.Sanders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

I appreciate your detailed and helpful response.

non-www to www. :
That's a good idea, and could definitely cause that problem (since the "add to cart" buttons are on a custom web page). Unfortunately, the page automatically 301 redirects to a www. =/ It also automatically redirects for Secure vs Non-Secure. So there really is only one page people can order from.

I checked my [configuration] Database table for the xmycart value and found this:

148 xmysite NULL products1

The valud for xmysite is "NULL" =/ Am I looking in the wrong database? Is it possible for this to be NULL?

I have tried asking what page people were on, but never have been able to get an answer beside "A page on your website"

Does this help bring any other ideas?
Thank you,
Ashton Sanders

-Ashton Sanders
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  00:09:37  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is possible that the xmysite database config option is null, especially in the later versions of vpasp. It shouldn't really be used anymore in the code (the shop$config.asp value should be used instead, ie a direct reference to xmysite as a constant rather than getconfig("xmysite"), but there might be some instances (in shipping/gateway addons) that still use it, so it's best to set it.

If changing/setting the database xmysite value, do it via site-setup in vpasp admin rather than directly in the database because that'll also update the relevant server variables.

It's very hard to debug though unless you can replicate the problem yourself.

It does use sessions (even if storing things in a cookie it'll still using sessions for other things), so if the cookie settings are at maximum security then it could cause a problem because the session identifier is essentially a kind of cookie on the browser side, although when your settings are set to the maximum level then virtually no shopping sites would work anyway.

Or, maybe they've got something like "submit non-encrypted form data" to not allowed on their browser.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Ashton.Sanders
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - May 11 2009 :  00:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Ashton.Sanders's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks again Simon. That is nice to know about the security/session settings. I haven't had any complaints since I opened this topic, and with 500+ orders, I'm going to leave this problem as it is.

I will go ahead and post again here if I get any more information.

Until then,
Ashton Sanders

-Ashton Sanders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00