Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 admin panel trouble - page cannot be found
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 03 2009 :  05:58:08  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
am in process of configuring vp asp for a client, not sure at what stage this happened but if I want to add/view a category or product etc from within admin panel I now get a 'the page cannot be found' error, so basically it can't find the shopa_editdisplay.asp anymore even though it's on the server. Do you know what I could have done to cause this problem, the actual shopping cart is working fine.
thanks.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 03 2009 :  13:50:41  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the page-cannot-be-found error is usually just a generic failure; the page itself is there, it's just that it's failing with a vbscript error.
Try using a different browser (eg firefox instead of ie) as that'll usually show you the real error.
If that doesn't work, there might be a server/site/host level setting which enables "friendly" error messages, if that's the case try to deactivate it so it shows the real message)

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 03 2009 :  14:37:19  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks Simon,
I get the same in Firefox... so do I have to ask our hosting company to change this 'level setting' to deactivate the friendly error messages in order to view the 'detailed' error message?
thanks.
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 03 2009 :  15:22:38  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if I type in the path to /shopa_editdisplay.asp only, the page is being displayed giving me the message along the top 'No table selected or not permitted to view this table'
what does this tell me? does this get me any closer to a solution?
p.s. I have been to my admin user panel and according to that I have permissions for everything.

Edited by - busy bee on March 03 2009 15:24:49
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  04:05:22  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The shopa_editdisplay.asp file needs to have arguments to it, so your url would be something like:

shopa_editdisplay.asp?table=products

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  04:27:03  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh, sorry, I do realise that - that's when I get the error message... presumably my next step is to get onto hosting company, to see whether they changed permission at their end over the weekend?
(everything was working fine last week and I really can't think what changes I would have made to get this 'page cannot be displayed' message and as long I don't know what the detailed error message is I won't be able to get to the bottom of this...
hopefully, my hosting company will be able to sort me out, otherwise I'll be back here or it will be a support ticket to vp asp. thanks
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  08:13:20  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon,
have been onto my hosting company, they checked all their settings and everything is fine as far as they are concerned. So basically I am non the wiser..
Is there an other way I can get my browser to display the 'real' error message?
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  09:02:34  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
in ie, go to tools>options, advanced tab, then in browsing>show friendly http error messages; make that unticked
If that doesn't work use firefox instead.

If that still doesn't work, then it's probably a server/host level option that they need to switch on/off.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on March 04 2009 09:04:28
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  09:06:47  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have already tried all that, doesn't work....
Go to Top of Page

THeVerve
VP-CART New User

117 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  09:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your host might be masking the real error message. Ask your host to disable "Custom Error Document" or "Friendly Error Pages" so that you can see the real error message.

If this still doesn't work, maybe submit a ticket to helpdesk.
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  09:12:23  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
create a dummy file with a deliberate/simple error in it just to prove things, eg in notepad create a file called "test.asp" and just put this in it with nothing else:

<%
Resonse.Write "test"
%>

and then upload it to the site and try to open it on your browser; it should show a proper error message along the lines of error at line 1: Undefined function "Resonse"

Then you can use that as your testing ground with the host to see if they also get to see the real message or a dummy "friendly" one.

Also try creating a correct file with no problems in it, eg test2.asp which has only this in it:

<%
Response.Write "test"
%>

that way you'll be able to see if the file does actually exist on the dns, or if it's just showing a dummy error because of a script failure and "friendly" switches.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com

Edited by - devshb on March 04 2009 09:13:45
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 04 2009 :  09:17:24  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
thanks for both responses, I will get back to my host, but will also try the test suggestions.
will let you know how I get on.
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 05 2009 :  12:29:08  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just for the record, after getting on to the vp asp helpdesk and lengthy support calls with my hosting company all is working again. the explanation I got from my hosting company was: (only after questioning the usual 'try it now' response)
"urlscan - which is a Microsoft security software prevented a sql query to be run - we modified a file to allow it to run"
I don't really understand what this means and why it stopped working in the first place ... I just hope it does not happen again...
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 06 2009 :  04:49:57  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's server-based anti-sqlinjection software which stops some valid urls/querystrings/formpostings from working.

It's one of those things which is a nice idea in theory, but in practice it's the wrong thing to use/do; instead it's best to check the data periodically and keep your asp files patched/secured.

It's like having the door on your car welded shut to stop people being able to pick the lock. A thief will just break the window instead and it means you can't get out the car without climbing through the window.

Regarding sql injections, take a look at the resource section on our sister site which explains things:
http://www.sqlinjectionscanner.com/
and grab the free scanner ("download free version") if you haven't already; it'll take you through the download/purchase process via our other sister site bigyellowkey.com; it's a free addon, you won't be asked for any payment details.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Go to Top of Page

busy bee
Starting Member

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - March 06 2009 :  05:55:20  Show Profile  Visit busy bee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simon,
thanks for your explanation, I wish our hosting company was as helpful as you!
I will take a look at the website you suggested.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00