Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Admin = Excl TAX. Public = Incl TAX
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thedtb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - December 05 2008 :  13:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm developing a website for a client of mine using VPASP.

In the admin interface, I need to make it possible for my client to add product details, along with a price excluding tax.

However when the customer views the product on the public website, my client wants to the customer to see the price including tax.

I know I can specify that the price includes tax, but as far as I can tell, this will rely on my client always inputting (when adding/editing products) the tax inclusive price.

The reason this has come to light is that (for those of you who may not know) the tax/vat rate here in the UK has just dropped from 17.5% to 15%.

Because I'd specified "price includes tax = yes" my client has added a few test products to the system at their tax/vat inclusive fee, but the products were added when the rate was 17.5%.

Now that it's dropped to 15% the only way I can find to reduce the price that the customer pays (to account for the tax reduction) is to amend each product price manually. Whilst there are only three test products this is ok.

However, our wonderful government plans to put the tax rate back up to 17.5% in a years time... at this point (according to my client) there should be around 8,000 items on the website in which case it's going to be a nightmare trying to amend the individual price for each product!!

I figured that the only solution would be to have my client add the tax exclusive price as part of the product data and then have the website refer to the master tax rate record and ADD the relevant amount of tax to the tax exclusive price my client added as part of the product data and then display this total to the customer.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.... can anybody suggest a solution?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 06 2008 :  05:18:19  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Take a look at this thread, it explains how it can be done:
http://vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12430

byz091 might also be useful if you want to show the relevant tax/pre-tax elements:
BYZ091 - Tax/VAT Amount Template Fields for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=295&opu=n

If it were me, I'd price things in admin as vat inclusive, and have the system work out the tax/base elements rather than price things in pre-vat in admin.

And if you wanted to pass the full 2.5% (a 2.13% discount in reality) you'd just update all your prices in one go via a sql statement or via something like byz089.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 06 2008 05:19:53
Go to Top of Page

thedtb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - December 10 2008 :  06:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in my response.

I've discussed this with my client and have spent time thinking it through...

The easiest and most logical solution as far as I can see is for my client to have the ability to enter a VAT exclusive price for a product on the admin interface and then the website take this price and ADD VAT to this price in order to display the VAT Inclusive price to the customer viewing the product online... there is no requirement for the website to split out and show the VAT calculation to the customer.

Currently with PricesIncludeTax set to "Yes" the website is obviously taking the product price as inputted and subtracting the tax amount as calculated by the specified tax rate... I need to reverse this, so that the website takes the product price and ADDS the tax amount as calculated by the specified tax rate.

This way, my client (who uses VAT exclusive prices on his local software) can continue using VAT exclusive prices on his online interface as well knowing that the website itself (along with his local software) takes account of the relevant VAT rate and all he has to do is simpy ensure the specified tax rate is correct.

Is it possible for me to reverse this calculation and if so where?

Edited by - thedtb on December 10 2008 06:08:25
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00