Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 2 Scroller Bars
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - October 28 2008 :  09:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one for any asp & javascript wizards out there.

Having been asked by my bosses to revamp and update our site and include some kind of scrolling features in a right side panel, all has gone pretty much according to plan. I have 2 basic scrollers in shoppagetrailer.htm
The first displays <%NavigateFeaturedProducts%>
The second displays <%DisplayRandomProducts%>
I have a multiple on load function to load both containers and the dynamic content. However there is a hiccup.
The scrollers move by way of the onMouseover script (with <a href="#"> tags) and the only pages there seems to be a problem with are those that start shopcontent.asp?type=Whatever. The first (Featured Products) scroller just will not work. The lower Random Products one does. I'm sure it must be caused by the display of shopcontent.asp but I cannot see anything which may cause this.

Here's a link to a screen shot http://www.deanston-electrical.co.uk/ScShotNewSite.htm

Anyone out there have any ideas?

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk

Edited by - carfin on October 28 2008 09:15:09

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - November 03 2008 :  09:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have a live test site for us to have look a?

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - November 04 2008 :  03:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Steve,

we're putting the new look site live this afternoon, even with the slight hiccup which we've decided is a minor issue because it only affects about 4 pages that do not attract heavy traffic.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - November 04 2008 :  12:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't get the new look site live today, it was all hands to the deck to get orders out of the warehouse this afternoon. Possibly tomorrow afternoon if it's a bit quieter.

Carrol

Site is now live - 05.11.2008

Edited by - carfin on November 05 2008 05:49:40
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - November 07 2008 :  05:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just an update on this. Problem solved.
All our content records (apart from home and one other) use the standard default template file tmp_content.htm. This template produces meta description tags from the text that is within the html editor on the record page. I don't know why this was interfering with the scrolling bars, but it is not a problem with my own created templates for content. As a workaround I'm just going to create templates for each of the content records as needed, unless someone can come up with an idea of why this is happening.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

richmad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - November 14 2008 :  04:15:07  Show Profile  Visit richmad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Carrol
Just like to say I think you have done a good job with your 2 scroller and would very much like to add to my website, would you care to share your design. And if so could you give me the necessary info files. My website is www.campingandkitecentre.co.uk and on the right would like to add your scroller to show new tents for 2009.
Please
Richard
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - November 14 2008 :  05:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your comments.

Here are a few pointers to using the scrollers on a VP-ASP site.
If you are going to be using more than one scroller then you will need to add a multiple onload function to the start of shoppagetrailer.htm. Add this after the IP address code.

<script type="text/javascript"> var woms = new Array();
womAdd('getcontent_height1()');
womAdd('getcontent_height2()');
womOn();

function womOn()
{ window.onload = womGo;}

function womGo()
{ for(var i = 0;i < woms.length;i++)
eval(woms[i]);}

function womAdd(func)
{ woms[woms.length] = func;}

</script>

If you are going to use the random front page display (I used it for the Just Arrived scroller) you will have to add <!-- #include file="shoprandomproducts.asp"--> to the start of shop$db.asp

The code for my scrollers was adapted from a script from www.dynamicdrive.com. It has been customised to suit our web layout and colour schemes, but it is easily changed to suit your own site and there are instructions on changing the height and width within the code. Visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com/ for full source code. The script is called Scrollable Content Script II

To keep in line with the rest of your site, you should insert the scroller code into shoppagetrailer.htm within your Featured Products Box

<!-- START FEATURED PRODUCTS BOX -->
<h2 style="text-align: center"><font face="Verdana"><b>Featured Products</b></font></h2>
<div class="box ac">Insert your scroller code here - which will include
<!--INSERT CONTENT HERE-->
<%NavigateFeaturedProducts%> OR <%DisplayRandomProducts%>
<!--END CONTENT--> then the rest of the scroller code
</div>
<!-- END FEATURED PRODUCTS BOX -->

You will also need to alter the templates tmp_topsellers.htm (for featured products display) and tmp_frontpage.htm (for the random products display) to fit into the width of your scroller. My templates are 115px wide. I also had to use one of the spare fields in the products table to display a very short description for the products, and one of the extra image fields for a smaller thumbnail to fit.

See the user manual for setting up the configuration and display of Featured and Random Products.
If you have any problems in adapting the scrollers, e-mail me or post in here.

Regards,

Carrol
Go to Top of Page

richmad
Starting Member

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - November 17 2008 :  07:03:58  Show Profile  Visit richmad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carrol
Thank you for your time with your response. Again many thanks I will try and get this to work. I let you know if I crack it
Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00