Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Uploading offline invoices that need to be paid?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  14:17:42  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Got a strange question...

We have a system independent of VPASP, that allows us to enter a order, which provides us with their invoice id (same as orderid in VPASP) and their customerID (same as ocustomerid in VPASP). The problem is, they are different.

What I was wondering, if it would be possible to upload our open invoice statements into the orders table, so that our customers could log in and see the open invoice's they need to pay.

At this point, I'm trying to think this out. The main problem, is the ID's would not match. Example, I upload a open invoice that is customer ID 1004 (in our system) and invoice 156782 (in our system), their is a customer in VPASP, that is customerID 1004, which is different. This would mess that part of it up.

Any ideas?

Stephen Page
[email protected]

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  14:47:23  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Idea?

Have another table called "open invoices", which include's all our invoice and customer ID's, then have it ?joined? with the customerID in VPASP? When customer logs in, they see VPASP open orders AND our offline orders? This is kinda over my head? :)

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  15:27:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can only join things that have common primary or foreign keys. True the customerID can be joined but doing so would be for two different customers as you pointed out. The customer that is in VPASP would now see someone elses open invoice. Too bad you didn't record all your customer data in the VPASP table or your independent system. Would have ensured unique customerid.

Go to Top of Page

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  15:42:41  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This sounds out there again... But, what if I was to put our customerID in say the accountno field for the VPASP customer ID, for the same customer.

Then when that VPASP customer logged in, it would do a lookup/compare the accountno field and the field called "ourcustomerID" in another table, then record all the matching records, as open orders to be processed?

I would have to import all our extensting customers into VPASP, let VPASP set thier VPASP ID, while updating the accountno field with thier "ourcustomerID" number.

Not thinking this through, oviously, there will be problems?? Tying the VPASP database and our records, since they happen at different times, is to say the least ... WOW...

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

pymalion
VP-CART New User

USA
80 Posts

Posted - January 30 2003 :  15:49:39  Show Profile  Visit pymalion's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Superal, no sarcasm towards you... This whole idea just seems to be outthere to me at this point, to make this worst, the data that I get from our inhouse system is exported to a text file, that is in NO way delimited, it's in the format as it would be printed to a letterhead document. I'm gonna have to do some fancy trim work on the file, before it is to be merged into the access table.

But, before I start that, I wanna get an idea of how this will work, incorporating our offline invoices to be paid into the VPASP order & customer tables...

Stephen Page
[email protected]
Go to Top of Page

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - January 31 2003 :  16:14:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sarcasm meant just pointing out planning before implementing. This is a heavy head problem. I can't give you a simple answer. This has lots of work involved, especially the logic part.
Personally I think you have the solution, now to implement it. You need that merge code to bring the ourcustomerID into VPASP. Works as long as the customer identity fields that you are using to match are exactly alike. For example John Smith and John R. Smith presents a problem.
A very unique problem, promise to get some sleep!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00