Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Setting up Sales Tax Add-on for California
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rick Annino
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - October 24 2008 :  03:59:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In setting up the Sales Tax Add-on for a California Retail Outlet, I learned a few important details. I'm including those here for other California people trying to figure it out.

1. The data in the Sales Tax Add-on is not complete or current for California. I had to find and load the data into the database myself. It took a little time but wasn't as bad as it seemed and it only cost me $20.

2. I found the Zip-codes and associated cities and counties for the US for $20 at Zipwise.com. This completed 2/3 of the job.

3. I contacted the State Board of Equalization and decided that the simplest way to handle the different sales tax rates around the state was to charge the current California Statewide Sales Tax rate (now it is 7.25%) for outside San Diego County. Within San Diego County we charge the current local rate which is 7.75%.

Note: We were required to add a disclaimer to the invoice form notifying the customer that they are responsible for any "District" sales tax (this is the amount above the State rate). They should add this to their personal tax forms in the appropriate location.

Edited by - Rick Annino on November 09 2008 21:09:16
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00