Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How to output £ sign in Confirmation email
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jfb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - September 23 2008 :  09:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Please could someone tell me how to output the £ sign in TEXT format email. Basically, I live in the UK and have set the international/currency configuration values correctly. When I send a test email in HTML format and enter the £ sign in the message body, there is no problem with the display of the £ sign.

However, when I set the email format to TEXT, the £ sign outputs as ý (i.e. £199.99 is outputted as ý199.99).

I have tried to escape the £ sign (i.e. using £ and £) but this obviously doesnt work since I am displaying TEXT not XHTML.

Also, if possible, where can I set the whole site to send emails is HTML format (I can't see a global setting anywhere - the option is available when sending customers test/private emails via Admin)

Many thanks,

jfb

madbug
VP-CART New User

130 Posts

Posted - September 24 2008 :  00:29:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Try to save your text email template in UTF-8 Encoding

Go to Top of Page

jfb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - September 24 2008 :  11:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not wish to use any tenplates. The text email is being generated by code rather than a template.

Other currency symbols such as the dollar sign appear OK in text emails.

Is there a global setting that forces all order confirmation emails to use HTML formatting? as I may need to resort to using this if I cannot find a solution to the text £ sign problem.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Go to Top of Page

jfb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - September 24 2008 :  12:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also tried the template option (i.e. saving as UTF-8) and testing the text emails, but the problem remains
Go to Top of Page

DavidKay
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - September 24 2008 :  12:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi jfb

From the setup menu :

xemailformat
Values can be Text or Html. This determines the mailing format. HTML can be used only with the VP-ASP Option Package.

Try changing that to "HTML" ?

I hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

jfb
Starting Member

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - September 26 2008 :  11:01:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

I ended up putting a support ticket in tot he VP-ASP helpdesk. As a result, my problem is resolved. Here's my reply from VP-ASP:

"It appeared that you were using "CDONTS" as the mailing interface. CDONTS is a very old mailing component and is actually deprecated. We've switched your store to use CDOSYS instead.

We then modify the value of langcharset on your language table to use "UTF-8".

The following code is also added to your shopmail.asp so that the mail will be encoded in UTF-8

(line 334)
Mailer.BodyPart.Charset = "UTF-8"

(line 339)

Mailer.TextBodyPart.Charset = "UTF-8"

This has resolved the issue. You might need to re-save your template files to ANSI or there might be some garbage characters on the e-mail.
"

Cheers,

jfb
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00