Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Change CAPTCHA terms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 11 2008 :  14:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last year we purchased and set up VP-ASP for one of our clients. We have now noticed that there are some questionable character strings that the CAPTCHA function displays such as "POT99", "Loins", "BEER", "smokin", "tramp". I know the terms are pulled from the captcha_image.asp file but I don't know how to change the terms. I don't think simply changing the term in quotes will work since the numbers on the lines directly above each term seem to be linked to the word somehow.

Honestly I'm pretty disappointed that VP-ASP included these types of words/phrases in a product. They don't necessarily offend me but they certainly don't seem appropriate for a business website at all. I can only imagine what a little old lady buying a quilt through someone's website would think if she had to type in the word "tramp".

Edited by - kingtech on August 11 2008 16:15:21

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 11 2008 :  20:02:41  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

We actually licensed the CAPTCHA code from another source and did not write it ourselves.

I have forwarded this to development to review for you for the next version.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  00:05:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam,

Perhaps VPASP can provide support for www.recaptcha.net ?

My understanding is that the current system doesn't meet certain accessibility requirements.

Edited by - Peter on August 12 2008 00:06:39
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  03:57:03  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We can certainly look at this for the next version.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  10:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam, thanks for your response. Our client will not want to wait till the next version though, does anyone have any idea what the significance is of the strHexImage string of numbers above each term in the captcha_image.asp file? I'm going to change some of the terms without bothering the number string and refresh till I see what it does and post results.
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  10:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately simply changing the term does not work. The string of numbers on the line above them is definitely some type of hex algorithm that actually generates the term or word in the captcha image. I found a text to hex converter and tried that but it also didn't work, there is way more to that hex string than just basic text to hex. Back to the drawing board....
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  14:47:40  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The CAPTCHA is from http://www.webwizguide.com. Try contacting them with your concerns, and maybe they can supply an updated CAPTCHA_image.asp file to drop in.

Let us know the results please.

Regards,
Eric Lammers
www.KrackMedia.com
Building More Than Web Sites . . . Building a Web Presence
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 12 2008 :  15:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had already looked all over their site and forums to no avail. But I did decide to post this question on their forum now that I know it was their product, not VP-ASP's. Here is a link if you want to follow the thread:

http://forums.webwizguide.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26102
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  09:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam,
I also sent them an email through their website's contact form and this is the response I got:

Hi

It would be VP-ASP you would need to contact about this as they are the license holders as they did not purchase any support with the software.

If they update their software to use the latest version of Web Wiz CAPTCHA then it is much more secure as the latest version creates a unique bitmap image on the fly from random numbers and a few easier to read characters. Noise levels, colours, etc. can also be set to make the images more unique.

A demo of the latest version is available at the link below:-

http://www.webwizguide.com/webwizcaptcha/demo/

Regards,

Bruce

Web Wiz
Unit 10E, Dawkins Road Industrial Estate, Poole, Dorset, UK, BH15 4JD
http://www.webwizguide.com - http://www.webwizhost.com

Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  09:55:31  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there

We will actually be looking at the recaptcha option for the next release as this looks a much nicer system.

We will also look at making this available as a module for previous versions once the next version is released although this has not been confirmed as yet.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  10:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and now I just noticed they deleted my post asking for help on their forum...nice. I guess our client and us as well just get to deal with it. Now I am offended.
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  10:25:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the second best solution:
We just copied the 2 lines above each offensive word and pasted over them, making sure to change the strHexImage(0,0) number to stay in correct numerical order. This will simply increase the chances of some of the terms displaying in succession but nobody will ever notice.
Go to Top of Page

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  11:03:57  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got hooked on researching this last night to find other options. Here's a link to some neat tricks, but you'd have to probably code your own form page. I knew of the honeypot trick it mentions, just not the term.

http://nedbatchelder.com/text/stopbots.html

Regards,
Eric Lammers
www.KrackMedia.com
Building More Than Web Sites . . . Building a Web Presence
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - August 13 2008 :  11:47:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good read, thanks Eric.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - August 15 2008 :  00:19:30  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Eric

That is a great article.

Cam
VPASP Support
Go to Top of Page

kingtech
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - October 24 2008 :  17:25:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam,

Just curious...has VP-ASP decided yet as to whether or not they will offer the new recaptcha module for previous versions of VP-ASP?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00