VP-ASP :: Shopping Cart Software

Shopping Cart Software Solutions for anywhere in the World

US/Canada(Toll Free): +1 888 587 2278
Europe/UK: +44 (020) 7193 9408
Australia/New Zealand: +61 3 9016 4497

VP-ASP Shopping Cart Customer Forum

Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

 All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Application variables problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blueskyimports
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - July 15 2008 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Visit blueskyimports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are using VP-ASP 6.0.

We are experiencing the values for application variable are just gone. Some point of time, they are not empty which cause whole kinds of problems. Unknown langxxx and db errors because some of the components in SQL read off from app variables (getConfig). And this happens very often lately.

For the quick fix, I added following in shop$db.asp
If (InStr(1,getlang("LangCustFirstname"),"unknown",1) <> 0) or (getconfig("xsortproducts") = null) or (getconfig("xsortproducts") = "") Then
SetupSession
ShopInitapplication
End If

I am not sure whether this has side effects.

Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
John Yu

Edited by - blueskyimports on July 15 2008 12:31:37

devshb
Senior Member

United Kingdom
1898 Posts

Posted - July 15 2008 :  12:25:36  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yes; it's easy to get stuck in a catch-22 with resetting them in the case that you describe.

The system thinks that it's already initialized even though it's not, so the init call might not do anything in the situation you call it with.

We had this problem once, and adding the InitializeSystem function to the bottom of shop$db.asp didn't help. By logging into admin and doing a reset language that did the trick.

We then had to make quite an extensive tweak to force a reset language process when the language values were blank in shop$db.asp.

It was a weird situation, and we never found out if it was the server/host or vpasp causing the problem despite spending a lot of time trying to debug it, but my bet would be it was the server blanking out some but not all values.

so, first try just using this at the bottom of shop$db.asp:
<% InitializeSystem %>

if that doesn't work then email me and I'll send you a copy of the file we created which does the resetlanguage forcing.

The people at vpasp might jump in here and mention various existing functions that can be called instead, but we tried everything and a custom-created function was in the end the only thing that worked.

It's very rare though, I've only ever seen it on our site and one other site, and only on pre 6.5 sites.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else gets the same problem, our symptom was that seemingly randomly the language values would become blank, and once they're blank the subsequent bits fail all over the place. It only seemed to be the application language values causing the ultimate problem, not sessions.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on July 15 2008 12:31:19
Go to Top of Page

blueskyimports
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - July 15 2008 :  12:56:13  Show Profile  Visit blueskyimports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Simon.

I just modified my original message.
My quick fix looks like working.
When I was writing the first message the problem was something else.

Anyway, I created a little diag that displays the App variables.
When I checked that it looks like initialize the app var every 10 min.
I am just shocked.
Every 10 min, getlang("LangCustFirstname") or getconfig("xsortproducts") fail.

I had unkonw langxxx problems very rarely, and lately it is very often.
When I checked the event viewer I see this

"The configuration information of the performance library "C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv\w3ctrs.dll" for the "W3SVC" service does not match the trusted performance library information stored in the registry. The functions in this library will not be treated as trusted."

I don't know this may do some damage to it.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated it.
John Yu
Go to Top of Page

blueskyimports
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - July 18 2008 :  17:01:38  Show Profile  Visit blueskyimports's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We figured out what causes that app variables disappear.
One of our SQLs takes while to get the response(5-7 seconds) back.
Which clogs the database (shared db) requests and that leads another problems and on and on...
Once we isolated the SQL, we don't see the problem anymore.

I am also surprised that vpasp reads the app var from db constantly.
That time db was clogged and it couldn't get the app var from db which made it looked like disappeared

I hope this help to someone.
John Yu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000