Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Custom Home Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MsFloridaNative
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - June 25 2008 :  17:01:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I create a home page that is different from all the other pages, while utilizing shoppage_header.htm and shoppage_trailer.htm. I don't want the left nav to show up on the home page. Also, I have several pages where we list services and want their layout to be seperate from the product pages (hiding the left nav). How do I do this?

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 26 2008 :  00:13:38  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
there are lots of ways to do it, one way is to add if statements around the beginning/end of the chunks of html that you want to hide in certain pages, eg in shoppage_header/trailer.htm you'd find the relevant bits of htm that display the left panel and wrap it around an if statement, something like.....

<%
if (instr(lcase(request.ServerVariables("script_name")), "default.asp") > 0) then
' Do not display the left panel on default.asp
%>
put your non-left-panel html here
<%
else
' Display the left panel
%>
put your left panel html here
<%
end if
%>

but that might start getting complicated because of the way the surrounding html works for panels.

as a possible alternative you might want to use our vpasp panel splitter addon, because on that you put your left panel contents into a separate file, by default it'll show the same panels as normal, but you can also have a call to the panel function in custom-created asps, eg so that default.asp, instead of calling shoppageheader/shoppagetrailer functions you'd call:

PanelStartPage "YES","NO"
(first argument is for top panel display, second argument is for left panel display)
PanelEndPage "NO","YES"
(first argument is for right panel display, second argument is for bottom panel display)

we've recently used the panel splitter on various vpasp sites for things similar to this, including adding a right-panel which can also be optionally shown/not-shown on certain pages in the same way.

It also has the general bonus of being able to keep each relevant chunk of the header/trailer in separate files so it's easier to spot/maintain each chunk.

see:
VP-ASP Panel Splitter:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=26

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - June 28 2008 :  11:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The simplest way is to open your default.asp page and enter the front page code in there. This will then be called by the homepage and surrounded by the header and footer pages.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00