Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 URL rewriting is working well for us
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ianphillips
Starting Member

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - June 13 2008 :  05:52:37  Show Profile  Visit ianphillips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have rewritten some of vpasp so it generates imporved urls and we have a rewrite engine on the server.

We are now doing much better in a heavily contested market of keywords.

Sales are up and we are happy...www.horses-ponies.co.uk

We have also been taking out some tables and replacing with css layout as well as ocussing heavily on keyword landing pages, content structure and link structure within the site.

Edited by - ianphillips on June 13 2008 05:53:58

dreamcatchers
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - December 03 2008 :  14:01:31  Show Profile  Visit dreamcatchers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in learning more about what you have done. I looked at your website and think it is very appealing. I just launched our UK site: www.dream-catchers-inc.co.uk

I am concerned about keywords and search engine recognition.

Ramon Smitherman
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - December 07 2008 :  05:38:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will need a dedicated server (or at least root access) and ISAPI_Rewite.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

Piercebody
Starting Member

14 Posts

Posted - December 17 2008 :  01:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I also want to implement for the rewrite module as I have my own dedicated server.

Please help me..

Regards,
Matt.
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - December 24 2008 :  14:43:06  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I too would be interested in paying for this add-on, and would happily switch to a dedicated server for the benefits.

Let us know if you'll be selling this.

Merry Christmas,

--John Robinson
GRAHAM CRACKERS COMICS
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - December 27 2008 :  03:41:20  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There are lots of different ways to achieve this, one is to physically generate static pages (like our byz117 module does), another is to use a rewrite option which rewrites the urls dynamically.

If using the rewrite option, you'll need to do some groundwork first to make sure that your paging/searching urls are relevant to the query and don't just use sessions.

For example, say you click on a category, your first page will be like:
shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=100

which is fine, but then when you click on page 2 links your url will be like:
shopdisplayproducts.asp?page=2

rewriting with that second page will therefore not work as there's no record of the initial query/arguments in the url.

Similarly for things like using shopquery.asp which redirects to shopdisplayproducts.asp afterwards which also wouldn't work properly with rewriting, whereas with byz116 you'd do the relevant queries directly to shopdisplayproducts.asp and the original search arguments will remain in the paged urls afterwards too.

So, you'd need to do something like our byz116 addon does which creates paging urls with the relevant arguments (ie sessionless paging), and then you can use rewriting logic on top of that. The byz116 step will also have the benefit that search engines will then be able to list your paged urls which it can't do with default vpasp, and it also has the benefit that visitors can page around on multiple tabs/windows without timing out their search and without searches conflicting. So byz116 is useful on its own even if you don't want to use rewrite logic.

See:
BYZ116 - Enhanced Paging/Searching for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=317&opu=n

demo:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/publicdemos/area001

The rewriting logic is fairly server/software specific, and would need quite extensive tweaking of vpasp, but with byz116 in place as groundwork it should make things a lot easier.

For static content pages (as opposed to static product/category pages) you could achieve that without having to use rewrite logic by this addon:
BYZ110 - Content Management Enhancements for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=224&opu=n
which lets you create static content pages at the push of a button, but still uses dynamic content data.

If you wanted to go down the other route of physically creating static product/category files, you could try this:
BYZ117 - Search Engine Friendly Page Generator for VPASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=318&opu=n

(byz117 is useful even if you don't want to use the asp-generator aspect itself, because it includes other submodules which are useful in their own right)

Anyway, if I were doing it I think i'd use byz116 as the base, and then add relevant logic as needed for the installation of the rewrite aspect, because that should give you a system where every url/page has a record of the arguments, and I'd use byz110 for the content pages.

However, keywords are also a vital aspect (not just for search engines via meta tags, but also for good/relevant hits on internal searches), for example to make sure that relevant category level keywords are also stamped on products, and for that you could use:
BYZ119 - KeyWord Administration Tools for VP-ASP:
http://www.bigyellowkey.com/mysoftware_product_details.asp?prdid=320&opu=n

If you combined byz119/116/110 then even without the rewrite aspect it should have a significant boost to your rankings and also make the site work better for the customer too. And with rewriting logic applied on top of that base too it should work wonders.

Google sitemap generation (byz095) and product feeds (byz058) are also handy.

No off-the-shelf cart is perfect, but with vpasp, some relevant addons, and a bit of customisation/tweaking, you should be able to get things to an ideal state with relatively little cost as most of the complex/time-consuming logic would already have been done for you via vpasp itself and the addons.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on December 27 2008 04:18:20
Go to Top of Page

dreamcatchers
Starting Member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - December 29 2008 :  16:50:42  Show Profile  Visit dreamcatchers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the detailed answer Simon. I will consider your input and make plans for 2009 to get this done.

Ramon

Ramon Smitherman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00