Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Wish list/future order add on?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phoenix
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - January 11 2003 :  17:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I'm a total novice when it comes to ASP and am only starting to set up VPASP for our site but one feature I'd love to set up is a Wish List/Future Orders section where the customer can enter products to their account that they are going to be ordering and a date when they might be ordering them which would also notify us so we can be sure to have them in stock for when they do place it. Does anyone have anything similar on their site or have any idea (in really basic language) of how I might set this feature up? This would save us a lot of hassle with back orders so if anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Superal
VP-CART Expert

Canada
542 Posts

Posted - January 12 2003 :  12:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you need is a smacker to repeatedly fill in the wish list and now you have a whole lot of dead product. Jerks will do anything.
Managing inventory and predicting requirements is a real trick. What you need is good back end reporting with quantities over a time line. With the best sellers first and on down. Now you can formulate a prediction as to future requirements. Which must be relative to the products you are selling. Shelf life, obsolete quickly, seasonality all come into the equation. This all takes time to bring up to speed if you are just beginning to sell.

But to do what you want, the trick is to get the customer to fill it in. This means as little redirection and as much convenience as possible. I would probably modify the cart to display out of stock products with a message (which it already does) and add a dropdown box with the future time periods. Other code would have to be added to make sure these are not processed but stored. Now you can email the customer with a reminder of the future requirments. And hopefully you have it in stock.
Lots and lots of work but a very interesting idea.
Attention VPASP: might add this to the future version.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - January 12 2003 :  15:33:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your advice, actually what you suggest about monitoring sales trends is what we do at the moment, we have a report system set up to monitor all the trends but we ship all over the world from the US and Europe and have thousands of products so if we had a facility where our customers could pre-alert us of future orders it would be excellent. We don't have an "out of stock" feature because when we are out of stock of anything it generally only takes us a couple of days to get the product back in stock so it's not worth setting up but if our customers told us that they wanted the products and when we would always have them for them allowing faster delivery time and a better shopping experience for both our customers and us.
We have also thought about what you call some "Smacker" putting in fake wish list items but what we would like to do is only offer this service to customers who are registered and have ordered from us before so we know it's a genuine customer and not some idiot with no life other than to bother companies like us.
I was considering setting up some sort of dummy cart that would take the order and put it on hold in the customers account until they are ready and which would have a field where the customer could enter a date when he/she might be ready to place the order, I'd set this up to email us so we can be sure to have the products in stock and everyone's happy.
So the only real problem is my total lack of programming skills in figuring out how to set this up, I was hoping someone else might have set up something similar and might be able to tell me what to do?
Any suggestions (again in basic language) would be very much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Phoenix
Starting Member

23 Posts

Posted - January 15 2003 :  20:03:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

With all the people that have read this post surely someone can advise me on the best way to set this up? hakkatil? I'm customizing our VPASP at the moment so if anyone has any suggestions at all please post them

Thanks

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00