Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Advanced Search
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saqibazhar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  07:17:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There

This is my Advanced Search Page: http://www.rsk.sitepreview.co.uk/shopsearch.asp

1 ) If i want to include Category Field here so that if user type the Category name on that text box so all products of that category should appear..

I have done this thing:
xsearchfields:= ccategory,cname,cdescription,ccode,pother1,pother2,pother3,pother4,mfg

xsearchsortcaptions:=Artist Name,Title,Description,Catalogue No,Format,Price Code,Bar Code,Street Date (dd/mm/yyyy),Label

But if search "Rollins Band" in Artist Name in text field and UNCHECKED all fields only Artist Name field is checked then its not showing me result

Can any one please help me

2) How can i UnCheck all checkboxed by Default... i mean i want that all checkboxes should be unchecked on this page..

Many Thanks in Advance

Saqib

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  08:08:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Saqib,

1. I've tried your search page and there are no results from searching on Artist Name but you do get results by doing the same search by Title. Maybe you could check that the fields you have listed for searching do actually include the Artist Name in them. In my experience not many people choose to search by category, they just type in a product name (Artist Name in your case) You already have your categories listed on the left panel so I don't think it's necessary to include them on the search page.

2. If you open the file shopsearchsubs and find the sub makeFieldChooser and find the line:
<td width="30"><input type="checkbox" name="searchFields" value="<%=fieldArray(i)%>" checked></td>
Change the red highlighted text to unchecked. This will display all the checkboxes unticked when the page appears.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  08:36:53  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ccategory holds the first top-level category branch's categoryid, not the category description (I think).

If it were me I think i'd simplify/restructure it a bit; I'd have a drop down for format (with an option for "all"), a drop-down for "artist" (with an option for all), a drop-down for music-category (ie easy listening etc), low and high price fields and a single "search text" field.

Most people wouldn't normally use a complex search; usually the search mini-form at the top, and basic category listings in the right places (in this case, artist, format, and music-category) would be what most people use.

The key to a successful search is keywords, so that if someone does a search on the top search mini-form they get all the relevant items back. To do that properly you'd need to have category-level data automatically filter down towards product keywords, then simply use keywords as the searchable source for it.

for that, see:
KeyWord Administration Tools:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=150

For example, if I were an eagles fan I'd just type in eagles and search on the mini-form at the top. Once the results come back I'd hope/expect to see all the eagles' albums plus some other things that happen to have "eagles" in the title and a category link which points directly to the eagles category as an artist. Perhaps also with a filter for format at the bottom.

see also:
Enhanced Paging/Searching:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=159

So, if it were me, I think I'd use the keywords tool to append category-tree descriptions/keywords back to the relevant products so that the simple and complex searches get better hits, and then after that optionally consider something like the paging/searching addon to get the category "hit" list on the results too etc.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

saqibazhar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  08:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi There

Thanks for Replying

One thing can you please tell me

Here: http://www.rsk.sitepreview.co.uk/shopsearch.asp

you will see one field : "Street Date (dd/mm/yyyy)" and we are storing data against this caption on "pother4"

when using the search facility, for example searching Motorhead, would it be possible to list the result titles in order of "Street Date (dd/mm/yyyy)" (ie most recent first.)

Many Thanks

Saqib
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  09:49:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Saqib,

I'm a die hard Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler fan but I would be hard pressed to recall the 'Street Date' of any of their published music and as such would not think of using a search by release date field, and I'm sure about 99% of your target customers would be the same. When I go searching for music on the internet I am only interested in a search by artist, song or album title or music style and I think you should keep the search facility as simple as possible. It is so important to know your target customers and keep them in mind at all times when designing your site. Customers want easy and quick these days and anything that complicates their surfing habits will get dumped. By all means include all your search fields, but I would recommend what Simon has suggested and perhaps put a 3 field search form on your left hand panel (Artist, Title, Style)

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

saqibazhar
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  10:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I Do agree with your suggestions, But Unfortunately this is not my OWN site, i am doing for my Client, and he keeps demanding me to this thing to be done. so thats why i asked help about this issue.

Many Thanks
SAqib
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - June 06 2008 :  10:56:16  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if ordering by date, you'd need to either use a date column or format the information in a way that has the same effect as ordering by date even though it's a character/text field.
eg ordering by a text column which stores dd/mm/yyyy won't order by date properly (1st-december would come before 2nd January), so you'd either need to store it in a date column or store it in a text column with a format like yyyymmdd

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)