Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 How Much Memory Is Required?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lucasw
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - April 24 2008 :  18:11:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Currently, I have 1500 items listed on my website. I attracted about 1500-3000 hits per day after heavy advertising.

I have my software hosted under VPS with 384MB. I faced the problem that memory ran out on the 1st day of advertisement. I had no choice but to upgrade to 512MB. Now, I have only 70MB free space.

I intend to increase my products to about 3000-4000. I am concern if there is a problem with my code or VPASP needs a lot of memory.

Can anyone advise me? What is the minimum memory requirement? Should I migrate to a Dedicated Server with 1GB ram or more.

Thank you.

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - April 25 2008 :  03:11:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I don't think the file size of your site should cause a problem unless you have a lot of really large image files. I have over 6,000 products (all with large and thumbnail images), and the size of the site is about 110MB. (The database itself is about 15MB) When you say 'your memory' ran out', was this physical storage memory or operational memory (RAM)?

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

lucasw
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - April 26 2008 :  09:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi! I am using Plesk Windows and I am referring to the memory usage of Plesk Windows Server.

I still have plenty of storage space of about 20GB.

Go to Top of Page

k-otic
Starting Member

49 Posts

Posted - April 27 2008 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think storage space is your issue.

Do you have any custom coding on your site? Memory spikes can come from unclosed database connections. I'd first check any custom code you have on your site.

What database are you using? If Access, then you will have issues under that amount of traffic. Suggest that you look at upgrading to SQL Server.

A dedicated server may be a good solution if you are experiencing heavy loads with a large product set

Go to Top of Page

lucasw
Starting Member

15 Posts

Posted - April 30 2008 :  08:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am using MySQL.

I wonder if anyone can help me to look into custom coding.

Now, my server is using 450MB out of 512MB.

But, I wonder if 1500 page view per day is that huge that I need to have a dedicated server.
Go to Top of Page

Amarinder
Starting Member

Australia
24 Posts

Posted - January 21 2009 :  16:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Amarinder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am having a similar issue, any recommendations?

I tried to play around with worker processes in IIS but still not very happy... this is a technical issue if someone can shed some light on this.

cheers

Amar
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - January 21 2009 :  16:16:42  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Amar,

Is your site hosted on a dedicated server or VPS?

If so, the IIS fix that is listed in the following forum post may assist you to resolve these errors:

https://www.vpasp.com/virtprog/vpaspforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11886

If your site is not using a dedicated server or VPS, you might like to contact your hosts with this information and see whether this is something they can apply to the server.

Hopefully changing the caching on your server should resolve this issue.

Regards
Michael
VPASP SUPPORT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00