Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Page numbers - driving me mad.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  18:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, I really thought this would be easy but I'm completely lost and going round the bend trying to change it.

If you have a number of pages for a category the page links are displayed like this:
quote:

"NEXT PAGE BUTTON/PREVIOUS PAGE BUTTON"
[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] Next : Last

Page 1 of 14

I have done some analysis of our stats and found that when there are more than 10 pages the moost frequent page clicked on (75% of the time) is the "next" word. So a visitor will go from page 1 to page 11 and miss out all the other pages.

What I would like to do is change the number of pages visible to 20. So instead of the above you would have:
quote:
"NEXT PAGE BUTTON/PREVIOUS PAGE BUTTON"
[1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14]

Page 1 of 14

Any help anyone?

Thanks

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  18:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable - I stand up go to the loo, sit down and there it is staring at me, I even had placed the cursor in the right sub in shopdb without knowing it.

For anyone that's interested if you go to shopdb, sub PageNavBar(sql) and change the figures in there you get the desired result.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 13 2008 :  04:53:09  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
on the subject of paging, I thought I'd mention our paging/searching addon because it allows a variable (customer-chosen) number of items per page and a config page-numbers-to-show-in-the-list, and then pages a bit like google does (ie it doesn't use prev/next-set, it "scrolls" across automatically when appropriate) -
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/shopexd.asp?id=159

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 13 2008 :  06:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Just had a look at your paging add on, it looks good but I just have a few questions, (thought I would post it here to give you guys the exposure and hopefully answer other peoles questions at the same time).

1 - Is the ability to change the number of products per page is available across normal product pages as well as the search results? I assume it is but could you clarify?

2 - How easy is it to set the default number of products per page? Does this come from the VP set up as it does at the moment?

3 - Can you change the number of page numbers on display? For exaplme if you search for "o" in your demo ("o" always gets loads of results - good for testing), you get 11 pages (with 1 item to a page). At the beginning of the results the paging is:
Page: Next 1 2 3 4 5 6  ...  11 

Then if you click on 6 the paging becomes:
Page: Prev Next 1  ... 4 5 6 7 8  ...  11 

Can this be changed? So if you have 00's of pages you might have 20 (or any other figure you fancy) shown such as:
Page: Next 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ...  101 

and
Page: Prev Next 1  ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...  101 

4 - The site we would want to add it to is not the site with the database on. Is this a problem?

Sorry if I sound a pain but I've learnt (from bitter experience) to make sure something can do what I want before paying for it.

Thanks

Steve
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 13 2008 :  16:01:11  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi,

here's the answers...

1 - Is the ability to change the number of products per page is available across normal product pages as well as the search results? I assume it is but could you clarify?
>>it'll work in any shopdisplayproducts.asp url; it's deliberately setup so that it's specific to the product-summary pages (ie search results, or clicking on a category to get the list of corresponding products etc), it doesn't effect any other paging (eg admin view-orders summary screen would still use conventional vpasp paging). So, as long as a given link/form-posting ends up going to shopdisplayproducts at the moment you should be able to replicate that when using the paging addon. (additional query/search fields/logic and filters are config options that you can tweak)

2 - How easy is it to set the default number of products per page? Does this come from the VP set up as it does at the moment?
>>very easy; it competely ignores the vpasp setting and uses the addon's config setting instead. It's just a config setting in the addon's config file.

3 - Can you change the number of page numbers on display? For exaplme if you search for "o" in your demo ("o" always gets loads of results - good for testing), you get 11 pages (with 1 item to a page).
>>yes, that can be changed easily; the number of page-numbers to show (which default is set to 6) is a config option on the addon; you can change it to whatever you like. The "number-of-page-numbers-to-show" config option relates to the maximum page-numbers it'll show (ignores any next/prev links etc, just relates to the actual maximum number-of-numbers to display before it starts the "scrolling" logic).

The options (ie the values which are displayed in the products-per-page drop-down) for number-of-records-per-page are also a config option, so you can set that to have any set of numbers you like; you set a config option to a comma separate list of whatever numbers you want to show in that list.

4 - The site we would want to add it to is not the site with the database on. Is this a problem?
>>If the site already uses shopdisplayproducts and works, then the addon should work regardless of where the database is, as it should just be using the standard products database connection/logic. ie you'd install it on-top of your existing vpasp area/files; a kind of extra layer on top of what you've already got.

As always with something that's relatively major like this, you'd definitely want to take backups of any files before you change them, preferably try things out in a test directory first if you can, and then release them when you're happy with them.

for this bit:
Sorry if I sound a pain but I've learnt (from bitter experience) to make sure something can do what I want before paying for it.
>>yes, I agree, although for some things there are so many technical permutations that it's not always possible to know for sure before you buy whether something would work (eg if you have a weird setup etc). General approach we use is that if something we sell doesn't do what someone wants after they've bought/installed it then we'd first look at why it's not doing it (eg config options not setup properly etc), and if that's not the issue then we'd usually try and enhance the addon to cater for what's needed (depending on the effort needed and how generic the change is etc), and if that fails then we'd simply give a refund. We try to get them configured correctly or enhanced though wherever possible because enhancing them as/when things come up then makes it appeal to more people as time goes on.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on April 13 2008 16:10:30
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 14 2008 :  03:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Simon,

Thanks for the reply.

Looks good I shall hopefully be placing an order today (depending on workload).

RE question 4 - some people may think I am being a bit picky when the software only cost £35, but to me it is not the money it is my time. Unfortunately I;ve installed various applications (not VP based), spent hours configuring them only to find one vital thing I need isn't covered, so now I'm morecareful and make sure everything I need is there first.

Thanks

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - April 16 2008 :  17:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve2507

some people may think I am being a bit picky when the software only cost £35, but to me it is not the money it is my time.

Sounds fair to me.

I'm happy to throw in my 2c on this addon; it does exactly what is promised and is very easy to customise.

VPASP page numbers have always frustrated me (and users), but the system used in this addon must be one of the best around - clear and intuitive.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00