Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 how to improve popularity in Google?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skynet104
VP-CART New User

94 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  01:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, my popularity in google is too low compared to other search engines like yahoo... how can i improve this?

Thanks in Advance.-

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  02:41:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a simple answer to this - hard work - there is no quick fix.

You need to increase your offsite optimisation by way of link building (both one way and two way). You also need to increase onsite optimisation by writing good descriptions, creating a blog etc.

I am working on a number of theories I have to improve SERPs, two of which I am concentrating on at the moment. One is pretty obscure but it seems to be helping. That is to reduce the file size of the pages by removing anything that isn't needed and removing line breaks.Have a look at the source of our site and you will see that line breaks have been reduced to a minimum. My reasoning for this is that G likes us to do things how they do things (we want to be fair but only if you do things how we say) and if you look at their site their code is reduced to a bare minimum. This also has the benefit of being faster to download.

The second method is very obscure but seems to be working. I've mentioned it in passing to a few people over the past year and they have all said it wouldn't work. Well I've implemented it and our site is getting indexed at a faster rate than before I implemented it. I also believe it is helping in our SERPs. Sorry but I am keeping this quiet (I am still testing and if it works as well as I think it will work then I ain't giving the secret away), however I will give you a clue - G loves content.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  03:33:58  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get asked this question quite often too, so I've created a knowledgebase item for it on our site to explain the relevant list of off-the-shelf stuff that we've got which would usually help.

As per steve's posting it's a bit of a dark art, with constantly moving goalposts, but here's a list of stuff that we've got which would usually help:

Q:
I'd like to improve my search engine rankings, is there anything quick/simple I can do/buy to help which doesn't involve massive development costs?
A:
http://www.bigyellowzone.com/support/issue_view.asp?ID=1200

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: