Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 General help me questions
 One for the techies (session.timeout)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 11 2008 :  17:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have leaped up in the SERPs for many of our keywords, which is good (looks like my onsite and offsite SEO is working).

However it has also brought about a negative effect.

As we are getting an increase in visitors it has put a strain on our site, so I have done this:

1 - Created seperate application pools for each site.
2 - Each app pool is set to recycle at a specific time (early morning - very little traffic normally).

I am also looking at increasing the session timeout and have done this as a test, but would like some reassurance.

My thought process is that as our site is quite large having a session timeout of 60 minutes will give them more time to look around and to go through the checkout, but I am worried that the increased timeout will put more strain on the server.

What I'm looking for really is reasurrance I've done the right thing, or alternatively for someone to call me an idiot and tell me I've done the wrong thing.

Thanks

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - April 11 2008 :  19:42:27  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The session timer refreshes whenever they visit a page, so having a timeout of 1 hour allows for up to an hour of idle time.
So, say you had a session timeout of 5 minutes, you could still browse for hours on end without losing the cart contents as long as you press something to navigate to another page on the site at least once every 5 minutes.
so it's idle time rather than actual session-lasting time that the session timeout relates to (20 minutes of idle time being the norm that you'd cater for)

1+2 are probably a good move; lengthening the timeout will just allow people to remain idle for longer and thereby potentially cause a higher overhead, but with 1+2 in place the overhead might be ok

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 12 2008 :  02:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Simon, I thought 1+2 were right but I needed someone to confirm it (that knew more than me).

I'll log on to the server and reduce the timeout.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

Alex
VP-CART New User

50 Posts

Posted - August 27 2008 :  19:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May I just clarify? Is it a server side setting we need to change to accomodate for a greater session timeout the default 20 mins or it is a code change required within shopping cart package?

What exactly I have to ask my hosting provider to change if the first?

thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00