Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Sending newsletters to customers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maxq
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - April 04 2008 :  14:56:45  Show Profile  Visit maxq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if I'm missing something but I want to be able to email customers who asked to be on the mailing list.
First is there a way to see who that is and second can we specify that it only goes to to customers who asked to be on the list (not just every customer)
Lastly how do we send an html newsletter, do we have to format it ourselves then cut and paste it, or does VPASP have some templates hidden somewhere?

Thanks for any replies

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - April 05 2008 :  16:09:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you can do it from VP, but if you are serious about your email marketing you are probably better getting a dedicated package for it which will monitor open rates, handle bounces, unsubscribes, monitor which part of the email the viewer clicks on etc.

We use SendStudio (www.interspire.com) but there are loads out there to choose from.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - April 08 2008 :  08:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. I've just checked and there doesn't seem to be a way of searching the customers table by maillist. I suppose you could export the table and check that way.

2. If you go into your Admin panel> Cart Set-Up and search for the field xcheckmaillist and set this to Yes, your e-mails will only be sent to customers who have agreed to the mailing list.

3. As for your Newsletter you can create an html file eg Newsletter.htm You need to set the field xemailwithtemplates to Yes (Admin>Cart Set-Up and search) When you are ready to send out your Newsletter go to Admin>Customers and click Mail Set-Up. Add your file Newsletter.htm to the form at File Name and set the rest of the mail up as required.

I think Steve's suggestion of a dedicated mail marketing package is only really worthwhile if you have more than 1,000 customers signed up to a mail list.

Hope this helps,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

gledav
VP-CART New User

Australia
66 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  20:57:24  Show Profile  Visit gledav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Carfin,

You say: 3. As for your Newsletter you can create an html file eg Newsletter.htm You need to set the field xemailwithtemplates to Yes (Admin>Cart Set-Up and search) When you are ready to send out your Newsletter go to Admin>Customers and click Mail Set-Up. Add your file Newsletter.htm to the form at File Name and set the rest of the mail up as required.

Presumably the Newsletter.htm file is created in an editor then uploaded to the site. Is there anyway of acheiveing the same result in apasp admin? Such as creating and using a content template? I'm interested in sending a newsletter to customers on a regular basis but being able to create and edit it via a browser. Any help would be appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  05:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

yes normally you would create the template in an editor and upload this to your server but you could create a content record and use that to edit your newsletter. If you are using VP-ASP v.6.5 then here's what you can do.

Create a new content record called Newsletter (or whatever)
Add all your information into the content body
Set Hide to Yes
Leave template file blank
In the menu for the content body click on the <> symbol to view source. Copy all the code in the popup window and close. Save the content record.

Make sure xcheckmaillist is set to Yes

Go to View/Edit Customers
Click Mail Setup
Fill in details as required. Check Email format is HTML
Table name is customers
Leave file name blank
Merge with database to No
Paste the information from the newly created content record into the 'message' field.
Click continue

Mail all records

Hope this helps

Regards,

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

maxq
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  09:58:33  Show Profile  Visit maxq's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies,
We make our own html newsletters which we based off the VPASP email to customer template. We were trying to find an easy way for the client to send their own versions but without html knowledge it's difficult for them to add images and formatting.

I don't know if there are any programs out there web based or otherwise that are easy for non designers to use?

They would still need to cut and paste the code into the VPASP email forms.
Thanks for the advice we've got them working well with html templates now.

Go to Top of Page

gledav
VP-CART New User

Australia
66 Posts

Posted - May 21 2008 :  18:17:14  Show Profile  Visit gledav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks carfin,

It's a very helpful and elegant solution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00