Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 how do I report fraud or do anything
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

riprod
VP-CART New User

USA
85 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  16:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The credit card companies, police and everyone else seam completely uninterested in any complaints about fraudsters. I guess they can just take their money back from the small business owners, so they don't care. Does anyone know a legitimate way to get some justice...

This credit card thief has got me for over $1000 this month.

domain 'itcompu.com' tracks to :
Eric Nagel
Address: 12400 STATE HWY 71 WEST , SUITE 350-129
AUSTIN City Texas 78738
UNITED STATES
Tel: 0018773503066
Fax: 0018773503066

I did manage to get GoDaddy to shut down the domain but that doesn't help me if getting my money back from the jerk.

Any ideas ??

Edited by - riprod on March 18 2008 12:35:06

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  18:59:39  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good question/subject; I'd like to know the answer to this question too, because I've had the same totally uninterested response from authorities too whenever I've tried to report site hacks/fraud.

If anyone out there knows of an email/online-submission where people can submit details about hacks/frauds to an authority that will actually read the submission and investigate/do something about it then I'd love to know.

I've had quite a few situations where (because of finding/fixing injections) I've managed to find loads of details about the hacker, but whenever I tried to email the uk technical fraud authorities about it they didn't even bother to reply (and I don't have the time/money to print a physical form and send it through the post every time I find a hacker), so I've given up on the reporting front. If the authorities don't accept online submissions/emails then there's no point reporting it, because by the time a physical submission is made/processed the IP address and other info will become untraceable, whereas if there's a direct contact you can make with an authority then the hacker could be found/arrested within a few hours (if the authorities were capable at all that is)

I have tried to contact the uk authorities and asked them who I should contact about it, but ironically they didn't reply to that either. Kind of makes you wonder if they're all in on it.

(we're uk based, hence us trying to contact the uk authorities; I guess we'd probably have more luck contacting someone like the fbi as it's an international hack/fraud situation, but I'd prefer that our own country's police were capable of accepting fraud alerts about attempted frauds on uk companies/customers so that we could at least get the ball rolling. having said that, anyone in any country would do; I just want someone to read/listen/investigate, I don't really care which country they're in)

Hacks like this are a similar situation to spam, in that if the authorities were really that bothered about it then they have the technical and legal tools available to them to be able to stop it all virtually overnight; it's just pure apathy on their part; that's the only reason that spam/hacks are still a problem.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 10 2008 19:16:31
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  19:37:48  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Definitely a good question.

We once tracked down a fraudster directly to his door, put together all the evidence we could, and when reported to the police was fobbed off and nothing was ever done.

Since we released our Fraud Alert module our chargebacks have plunged to almost zero but it is annoying that when you do track these guys down no one is interested.

Anyone else got any ideas on how to get the authorities interested?

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  20:06:40  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad it's not just me; I was starting to get paranoid that the authorities simply didn't like me!

I reckon we're on our own to be honest

our glorious leader here in the uk, through budget cuts and general incompetence when personally setting up processes in his own department, just lost the bank account details of every single family in the country on a cd a few months ago by sending it through the post without even using recorded delivery, so I don't think they're going to be that bothered about a specific fraud over here. To be honest I think it's a bury-your-head-in-the-sand situation that the authorities have got at the moment; they know that they've been so incompetent in the past that they don't want to investigate anything because it'll illustrate to the public just how incompetent they have been.

So, when I say we're on our own, I mean that I don't think the authorities have any intention of doing anything ever, and that it's probably down to individuals/companies to do something instead (classic examples of self-help being vpasp's fraud alert, or our injection checker script)

maybe some kind of online petition (we have public petitions online on the uk government site where people can create/sign petitions, but they just get totally ignored; I wouldn't personally bother with the uk authorities at the moment with our current government in place, so I'm more interested in usa/australian/other authorities for now).

anyway; that's my rant over for the moment....

as per cam's question; anyone else got any ideas who to contact or what to do to boost the action of the authorities?

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons
Go to Top of Page

riprod
VP-CART New User

USA
85 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  20:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/
I doubt that they actually do anything but they do ask for a lot of info.

I think we should all get together and setup a reporting website to publish all our findings on people like this. I think it would be a great resource and at least we may be able to find suspicious people by a simple google search of IP address, emails etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00