Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 VPASP Hosting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  16:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All!

I've been trying to find some info/feedback regarding VPASP's web hosting. Anyone on their servers? Where are they located (Australia?) and if so, does this matter in terms of Internet speed for U.S. users?

After many years, I've had it with my current web host. Too much down time, and takes forever to resolve issues when they occur.

General feedback would be welcome.

Edited by - rvaga on March 08 2008 16:45:44

elammers
VP-CART Super User

USA
256 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  20:39:38  Show Profile  Visit elammers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Laugh if you want, but here's a surprise vendor for ya, GoDaddy.

If you don't have thousands of visitors a day, then go with GoDaddy's shared Windows package. Over the past 5 years I too bounced from vendor to vendor due to poor performance and tech support outsourced to Russia. But I currently love the performance, price, and tech support I get from them.

Even the lowest package gives you a 200 MB shared SQL server database. Granted you cannot connect via your desktop SQL manager, but their web tools have been adequate. And recently they added the ability for you to kick off your own SQL backups, download that file, and even restore it to a different database.

One client has 3,400+ catalog and most the others less than 400.

Regards,
Eric in Maine
Go to Top of Page

grahamcrackerscomics.com
Starting Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - March 08 2008 :  21:37:23  Show Profile  Visit grahamcrackerscomics.com's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've never tried VP-ASP's hosting service, though I imagine it would be the easiest to make a transition to since they know their software backwards & forwards.

I've jumped around from various HOSTING companies for all the usual reasons and have finally settled with CRYSTALTECH. Customer support is fantastic (short hold times - easy to get someone on phone) and price is affordable.

I have over 50,000+ items on the site and adding around 200-300 more each week. My only complaint is the load time for the search results - but I don't know if it's because I'm on a shared server or not...

--John Robinson
www.grahamcrackerscomics.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rvaga

Hi All!

I've been trying to find some info/feedback regarding VPASP's web hosting. Anyone on their servers? Where are they located (Australia?) and if so, does this matter in terms of Internet speed for U.S. users?

After many years, I've had it with my current web host. Too much down time, and takes forever to resolve issues when they occur.

General feedback would be welcome.

I wouldn't think it would make much difference in terms of speed. However it may make a difference with regards to SEO. There is a thought that G puts a lot of consideration on where a site is hosted. So a UK aimed site should be hosted in the UK, and Australian site hosted in Austailia and a US site in the US.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

Steve2507
VP-CART Expert

590 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  15:13:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grahamcrackerscomics.com

I have over 50,000+ items on the site and adding around 200-300 more each week. My only complaint is the load time for the search results - but I don't know if it's because I'm on a shared server or not.
It s probably the shared server. With that many products I would expect you are doing a fair bit of business (what are your visitor numbers like?). If they are high then you really should be looking at a dedicated server. This should speed you up.

Steve
Sex toys from a UK sex shop
Go to Top of Page

Peter
VP-CART New User

125 Posts

Posted - March 09 2008 :  19:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rvaga
Where are they located (Australia?) and if so, does this matter in terms of Internet speed for U.S. users?

I'm fairly sure that the VPASP servers are US based.
Go to Top of Page

rvaga
VP-CART Super User

USA
254 Posts

Posted - March 10 2008 :  03:03:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks All! Hopefully support will chime in and end the mystery of where their servers are located.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - March 11 2008 :  07:06:42  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone,

Our servers are located in New Jersey on the east coast of the US.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Lori Titus
VP-CART New User

144 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  16:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Lori Titus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm on the VPASP servers, and there are pluses and minuses. I have used many different servers in my time, but am relatively happy with VPASP.

On the plus side - every single issue I have had with the server has been answered/replied to/fixed quickly by VPASP. I don't have any problems with customer or admin speed within the VPASP shopping cart. I have not noticed any downtime, nor have I had any complaints from customers regarding downtime.

One of my big peeves is that the spam filters suck rocks. My understanding is that this is supposed to be a Bayesian filter, and I have used such filters before, but never with so little effect. It is more worthwhile to purchase a spam filter and install it on my PC. Unfortunately, if you have a dial-up service, downloading thousands of emails a day eats up time, bandwidth, and money. The last time I trained the spam filter, I used something like 7,000 emails, identifying all as either spam or non-spam. This drastically cut my spam - for about a week.

You have the ability to access the server directly, but it is darn slow. On the other hand, I have never seen a fast direct interface to a server. I am assuming that this is due to the software used (Plesk) - the VPASP cart is very quick, both on the customer and admin side. I am able to perform most functions either through the cart, SQLyog, or FTP. Unfortunately, you need to go through PLESK to train the spam filter, and this process can take forever, especially if you are training on thousands of spam.

You also have access to web email. This, too, can be slow, but is faster than PLESK. When I go on extended trips, I set Outlook so that it will not download emails, and I am able to check through the web email on the road.

Anyhow, that is my take. I think I have been with them for about a year now. Not planning on moving soon, but I sure hope the spam issues get worked out at some point.

The Internet's #1 supplier of honey and beeswax.
Go to Top of Page

support
Administrator

4679 Posts

Posted - May 22 2008 :  19:05:27  Show Profile  Visit support's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Lori,

Not sure if you received the email however we have now implemented greylisting on the server and it can cut down on spam for me at least by at 95%.

The way it works is when an email is received by our mail servers a message i sent to the sending mail server saying there was a problem and please resend.

Most spam mail servers do not resend whereas all legitimate mail servers will.

There is a downside as you are then dependent on when the sending mail server resends so there can be delays in receiving the mail that range between 1 minute and 8 hours depending on the settings.

With the sheer weight of spam we were receiving this was decided to be a worthwhile tradeoff as most servers resend within minutes.

Shoot me a ticket in the helpdesk if you would like this enabled on your account.

Thanks
Cam

VP-ASP Support
Go to Top of Page

Lori Titus
VP-CART New User

144 Posts

Posted - May 23 2008 :  09:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Lori Titus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cam,

Will do. Thanks!

Lori

The Internet's #1 supplier of honey and beeswax.
Go to Top of Page

interface engineer
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - December 17 2009 :  15:39:57  Show Profile  Visit interface engineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not finding any examples of URLs for sites hosted w/ VPASP - could someone post one?

Thanks

www.interfaceengineer.com
Go to Top of Page

AccentAlarms
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts

Posted - December 18 2009 :  08:22:15  Show Profile  Visit AccentAlarms's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello Interface Engineer,

Our site is hosted by VPASP and I also jumped around quite a bit (3x) before settling on VPASP hosting. I have only positive things to say about VPASP.

Our site definitely runs much more reliably, seemed like with our previous hosting company (Alentus) that we were down for a few hours every couple of weeks. I would venture to say that their hardware is better or maybe just configured to handle the demands of ecommerce/VPASP better than the other hosting companies I tried. Bottom line is I have noticed a difference and the support couldn't be any better. I especially appreciate that VPASP is not telling me to contact my ”software supplier”, as it must be a problem with the software.

Sean McNeal
Accent Alarms, Inc
Over 16,000 Electronic Security Products
www.AccentAlarms.com
Go to Top of Page

carfin
VP-CART Expert

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - December 18 2009 :  08:53:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our site is also hosted by VPASP. We changed over because our previous host changed us on to a shared server set up which caused serious session problems which they refused to resolve. I have nothing but praise for VPASP's hosting support team after we had a couple of minor hiccups during the migration.
I would highly recommend them as hosts and even though we are based in the UK and their servers are in the USA there have been no issues with speed or availability for our customers.

Regards

Carrol
www.deanston-electrical.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Rudi
VP-CART New User

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - February 21 2010 :  18:24:48  Show Profile  Visit Rudi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im going to bring back this old thread just to sing praise to VPASP hosting.

Positives -

I havent noticed any downtime in 1.5years i have been with them.
Nice and fast
support is unreal and bloody quick and it's through the same helpdesk as vpasp cart software
I have used alot of hosts and these guys are good, you get what you pay for and the VPASP hosting is worth every penny.

Keep up the good work!

Rudi

http://www.boobahswimwear.com
http://www.boobah.com.au

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00