Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Customization
 Multi-col. Category
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

micrographics
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - March 07 2008 :  01:03:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

I want to implement Multi-column Category and Publishers list at the bottom of page similar to http://www.componentsource.com

Pls. advise me how to achieve this.

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 07 2008 :  04:26:12  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think that'd need to be a custom-built thing, especially if it's using up-down rather than left-right for the ordering (which is looks like it does)

ie that examples orders like:
left-column top to bottom, then center column top to bottom, then right column top to bottom.

rather than:
top-row left to right
second-row left to right
etc

you might be able to do that column aspect using css (perhaps with <li> tags for each category) rather than td/tr etc (that's what the example site seems to do), but whenever I've done it in the past I've always used <td> and <tr> and worked out the number of rows/columns/records-to-show-in-this-column up-front from an initial count of the categories; that logic is surprisingly complex, maybe someone else here has a simpler way of doing it via something like css.

that example site, although it uses css to format the records in each row, it doesn't use css to work out how many records to show in each column; that seems to be getting done at a higher level (ie there's a physical break between each main column, it's not auto-breaking using some kind of stylesheet)

not sure if vpasp have any plans for creating something like that, if not it might be a nice thing to have as an addon (not just for categories, but also for other things that you can group/sort on, as per that publisher option). I'd be tempted to add it to our existing paging/searching addon to be honest, but only if more than a handful of people would find it useful.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 07 2008 05:36:06
Go to Top of Page

micrographics
Starting Member

13 Posts

Posted - March 25 2008 :  09:00:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Devshb

Can you send me example code. I'll give it a try.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
0 Item(s)
$0.00