Welcome, Guest ( Customer Panel | Login )

All Forums
 VPCart Forum
 Add-ons for VP-ASP
 Enhanced Paging/Searching
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RNN
VP-CART New User

USA
54 Posts

Posted - March 16 2009 :  08:50:59  Show Profile  Visit RNN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That added logic would get a greater group of results.

How does for example Google do all the miss spellings, if you know.

We see many failed searches which are miss spelled, ex. red pen v rde pen etc

To do multiple word searches would the phrase need to be in quotes or anything special?

Can I control the number of results, currently Vpasp will return 1,000's at times.

In fact sometimes all the products.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

devshb

United Kingdom
1904 Posts

Posted - March 16 2009 :  23:16:47  Show Profile  Visit devshb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes; the added logic would get more results, but also some of those results might not be quite as relevant, which is why I think it needs to be an option to use either:
like '%red%pen%'
or:
like '%red pen%'
as every site's different with the kind of data/searches that you'd have/do.

Mis-spellings is a tricky one; for very common mis-spellings you could add them to the category/product data and add those mis-spelling columns to the list of columns you want to search in. Using a separate mis-spelling dictionary/lookup could in theory be done but would be a fairly big task.

byz116 allows you to specify (if you want to) more than one keyword lookup at a time (ie an "and" for each phrase, so users can enter more than one phrase to lookup), but I'd be more inclined to use a single phrase lookup and to replace the spaces in that phrase with a pct/wildcard.

I think the key to successful searches (and customers staying on the site) is simplicity and cross-links for the customer. If I visit a site then I'd either click on the category that I was after, or I'd enter a single phrase and press go; if I can't drill-down from the results that I get from that to then get to something relevant then I'd give up.

Regarding the number of results; byz116 won't limit the amount of records returned/counted to a specific number, but you can specify the number of products-per-page to display; as a site-owner you configure what values of products-per-page you want users to be able to choose, eg 1,5,50,100 etc, and as a customer you get to choose from that configured list of values via a products-per-page dropdown on the results pages.

You can also configure the number-of-page-numbers to show in the page number links before it starts to use "..." at the front/end of the page-number links, for example say you're viewing page 8 out of 15, then as a site-owner you could get it to show:

prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... next

or:

prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... next

the first one has 6 page-number-numbers, the second has 12; that number's configurable.

Simon Barnaby
Developer
[email protected]
www.BigYellowZone.com
Web Design, Online Marketing and VPASP addons

Edited by - devshb on March 16 2009 23:17:39
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2
Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly